gap between showr tray & wall
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sdelasal
Labourer
Labourer

gap between showr tray & wall

by sdelasal » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:08 pm

I'm fittin a 800mm square shower tray. There are brick walls on two sides & a stud wall on the other, the left. The shower head is mounted on the right hand wall. The studd wall is lined with marine ply.

If i move the tray snug up against one wall, then I hae a gap of approx 25mm between the tray and the other wall.

Any suggestions ..?

1. I could split the difference and have a 1/2 inch gap with side. The tiles will be approx 10-12 mm thick and I could try & sdeal the remaining gap with silicon. I don't like this idea.
2. I could move the tray snug up against one wall, fill the gap with either wood or expanding foar, then cut tiles 30mm inch wide and silicon them in place to cover the 25mm gap & give a 5mm overlap with the tray. I'd then tile as normal up the wall. Which wall should I do this on - the right hand one under the shower head? or the left hand one on the other side?
3. Board the complete wall with an extra 1/2 inch board to halve the gap- seems a lot of work.

Any other ideas please?

Steve

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:18 am

There are several points that spring to mind here. How is the shower door to fit? Any gap will in time almost certainly leak. There are problems with tiling onto plywood.

Get some plasterboard and build the walls out by the required depth to fill the gap. Screw it to the stud wall. and stick it to the brick wall, or screw two thickness's to the stud wall. Then tile straight over it.

sdelasal
Labourer
Labourer

by sdelasal » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:15 pm

A problem I have on the plywood wall is that I created two 'windows' using glass bricks. These are in place. So if I add anohter sheet of board then these glass bricks will be recessed.

I think I have to add the board to the brick wall - maybe one 12mm sheet - that'll give me a 12mm gap - or 6mm each side. 9 mm Tile & 2mm adhesive should give me a 11mm depth each side & so the tray would be covered by approx 5mm..

Sound reasonable..

Any other ideas?

Steve

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:36 pm