gaps in ceiling plaster as result of moving light cable
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mcarthurrobert
Labourer
Labourer

gaps in ceiling plaster as result of moving light cable

by mcarthurrobert » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:09 am

I installed a new ikea light on my kitchen ceiling, but I wanted the light to hang from a different point from where the 'rose' originally was and instead of just running the wire across the ceiling and boxing it off, I decided I'd try removing a thin line from the plaster and move the wire across, then tuck it on top of the plaster so that it is not visible. The only problem is that I'm now left with this hole in the plaster and I don't know the best way to fix it. It is about 60cm long and only about 2 cm thick. Is there a way of filling this in? I've seen on the topic pages that quite often a piece of plaster has to be cut away to where the timber is and then a new piece added, but since this is such a small gap, it would be great if I could just fill it (safely) somehow. There is also the old 'rose' circle which is about the size of the base of a mug - is there a quick way of fixing this too?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:00 pm

Okay, the 2cm X 60cmm you need some nylon scrim tape which is self adhesive also some jointing compond, this can be bought ready mixed.
Cut length of tape with sissors so it over laps all edges at least 15mm (1.5cm) apply a small amount of jointint compond so tape will be stuck when dried try not to let tape sag if anything allow it go upwards in to gap without losing contact around edge of gap with tape. Leave this over night to dry, then gentle sand any slots or rough. apply compond again about three times leaving to dry and sand down on all application. Your obection is to fill out gap so you can sand down to level with ceiling.
Ceiling rose hole, i'd suggest you try stick a bit of timber up through hole, small enough to get through but big enough to bridge over the edges of the hole, so you can put a couple of screws through plaster in to timber at both sides. You may need to put a screw in to timber middle so you can hold in place while screwing edges up. Then remove screw that was helping you keep timber in place while screwing it up and cut a small piece of plasterboard that will fit in hole, screw that to timber and apply tape and compond as described previously. You can stick timber in with no nails and stick plasterboard on to timber with it too if you wish.
Hope i've explained that well enough for you to understand, if not please inform me and i'll try explain better.
KB

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:10 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:25 pm