Garage Advice
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fut1a
Labourer
Labourer

Garage Advice

by fut1a » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:00 pm

Hi,

I am going to get a new garage built and I would like some advice on the materials please? I will use the garage as a workshop and gym, it will be 8m x 4.5m 3m will be be partitioned off for the gym. I would want the garage to be warm and keep the heat in when I wanted to use it.

I am considering the following, which method would be the easiest and cheapest but still give me what i need?

Which method would be the most cost effective but still give me a descent warmish garage.

Single skin blocks with the insulated plasterboard? (not too bothered about having it plastered inside though) Plastered would look nice but cost compared to the others

Single skin blocks at whatever thickness? Cost of the bocks against the cost of 100mm blocks and labour.

Double skin blockwork? More materials more labour

Double skin blockwork with an insulated cavity? as above but insulation costs also.

I intend to put a good insulated door on the garage. Are these any good? It would be pointless trying to keep the place warmish if the doors are rubbish.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:56 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

jsmith
Labourer
Labourer

by jsmith » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:23 pm

fut1a,

i have exactly the same question as you? what materials did you go for i nthe end. I want a single skin and need it to be warm inside.

Am thinking of single skin of dense concrete blocks, foam insulation 5cm and standard plasterboard with potential skimming. Pitched roof, not sure what tiles to use, perhaps tile shingles.

Rgds

John

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:33 am