Garage conversion help please!:)
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
no1smiles
Labourer
Labourer

Garage conversion help please!:)

by no1smiles » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:40 am

I would like to convert my garage into a usable space, either office/ dinning area.

However the plans for the house say the garage can only be used for car parking and not living space.

Does this mean i will be declined planning permission?

My friend is a property developer (new builds) so he is going to be providing the workers etc just dont want to spend £200 on planning applications if they will definately be declined.

Thanks Katie :)

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:09 pm

Talk to the planning office first. The plans probably state parking, not living because the building regulation requirements for a garage are entirely different to those for living accomodation. Fire regulations and Insulation regulations are required to name only two. The ceiling of the garage will have to be upgraded and the insulation of the walls (and possibly floor) will need to be shown to stay within regulation guidelines for heat retention in the room/building. The project on garage conversions may help a little but you will get most help from the planning office initially. There may be a requirement for planning permission to alter the use of the room and there will certainly be a requirement for building regulation approval. The only people who will be able to tell you if plans will (or may be) approved are your local council. Anyone else is just guessing.

no1smiles
Labourer
Labourer

by no1smiles » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:14 pm

thanks for your reply, i wil definately call the planning office!:)
Parking wont be a problem because i can park on the drive and i have graveled the front garden so i can park there.

There is a bedroom above the garage so i presume that the insulation should be sufficient on the ceiling?

One wall goes to the lounge and the other to my neighbours garage so i know they will need insulating.

anyone else got any experience on this?

thanks Katie

tonnee
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tonnee » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:03 pm

I had the same thing with my garage conversion, there was a covenent set up stating that the garage was not allowed to be converted into a habital room.

However as I also had a driveway for 2 cars and a car wouldnt fit in the garage, as seems to be the case these days, the council didnt have a problem with it and granted planning permission.

But as per the previous reply have a chat with them first they are very helpful

Rgds

Tony

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:13 pm