Garage Conversion Radiator
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jkhome
Labourer
Labourer

Garage Conversion Radiator

by jkhome » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:23 pm

I moved into a house that has a garage conversion but we find this room to be very cold and one of the reasons seams to be the radiator in this rooms doesn't heat up properly. I have removed the radiator and cleaned it which removed lots of sludge. Now it is a bit better but takes ages to heat up.

The radiator is fed from a radiator in the bathroom opposite. Now the odd thing I have noticed is that the pipe feeding the radiator is coming from the return pipe of the radiator in the bathroom, is this ok/correct! I have also noticed the pipe going into the radiator also takes ages to heat up although the pipe it is fed from is piping hot.

I was of the understaning that all radiator inlets are fed through the feed pipe and outlets connected to the return pipe.

Pleaase would someone beable to confim this?

Cheers

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:47 pm

If the radiator is tee'd into 15mm pipes from another radiator it should heat up ok, try turning down the valves on the other radiator so that the flow is restricted - this will push the water to the 'problem' radiator.

If the pipes are 10mm tee'd into 15mm try the same as above.

If the pipes are 10mm tee'd into 10mm you could try the above, but probably wont work. It would be best re-piping the radiator from the 22mm flow and return or from the manifold.

If you give abit more info on pipe size we may be able to help more.

muzza
Apprentice
Apprentice

by muzza » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:57 pm

provided one pipe is from flow and the other is from return the probable cause is a stuck TRV or defective sensor head

jkhome
Labourer
Labourer

by jkhome » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:31 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying!!!

Yes the radiator is tee'd from a 10mm into a 15mm pipe.

The TRV isn't stuck because i have had it off and checked it opens and closes.

What i'm still confused about is why the return pipe supplies the the feed for this radiator. That would make the radiator heat slowly wouldn't it!

Hope this provided a bit more info

jkhome
Labourer
Labourer

by jkhome » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:33 pm

Oh and another thing, the temperature on the thermostat is never reached. The bolier seems to come on for about a minute at a time then go off again, Why would this be?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1