Garage Electrics
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wrightonetwo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Garage Electrics

by wrightonetwo » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:20 pm

I have found that my garage seems to be getting its power from the cooker fuse, why i dont know but i gather thats this is WRONG!!!!.

Whats the best way to sort this problem out with minium cost.

Anyone please

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:54 am

do you have an electric cooker installed or has the circuit been diverted?
is there a consumer unit in garage to fuse down for lights etc.?
is garage backed onto kitchen cooker wall and taken from cooker unit for convenience ?
have a look' give us a clue, any work involving a new supply circuit, or any work in garage or kitchen covered by part p so probably best to get a sparks to look & quote to remedy if not right

wrightonetwo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by wrightonetwo » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:34 pm

Hi sparx

Yes the Garage backs onto the kitchen wall where there Electric cooker is.I dont have a consumer unit in the garage just a wire coming through the wall where the cooker is it then goes into various junction boxes to supply light and sockets.I do beleive the last ownser of my house did it for convenience.

I would like to put a garage consumer box in there & will consult qualified sparky in later.

Is it safe for now, as its running off a 30amp fuse(Cooker) I dont run much in the garage(Just a fridge & mower)

Wrightonetwo

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:29 am

so.. you have a lighting circuit wired presumably in 1.5 mm cable capable of carrying 11amps 'protected' by a 30 amp fuse!!!!!!!!!!!!
If a fault occured on circuit the wiring would melt catch fire etc and the fuse would not blow......
DO NOT consider using mower without at least using a Power breaker plug a sa very temp. measure .
You are breaking the law if you do any changes in the garage your self..GET A REGISTERED PartP leckie in v.soon please, you are in DANGER.
your installation, like so many DIY wiring lash-ups has killed far too many people already.
Please be careful, I have nothing to gain from this, but the more I read on here the more worried I get, folks just don't seem to realise how lethal 230 V is..........

wrightonetwo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by wrightonetwo » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:19 pm

Hi sparx

Yes as I thought. now i've inherited this mess :x from the last owners. I will get a leckie in to sort out!!!

I'm planning and extension soon so will get this sorted then.

I have a breaker pluged in when using anything as i thought this was not right.

So as it stands you would not recommend using anything out there.

Cheers.

Wrightonetwo

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:34 pm

yes it's about as bad as it gets
goodluck with extention
Sparx

wrightonetwo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by wrightonetwo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:32 am

Hello Sparks

I got a approved electrian in, he has advised me that he can come back and either do one of two things.

1.Strip everthing back and feed new wire from main cunsumer unit .

2Put Garage cunsumer unit on from 30amp feed with 16amp for sockets and 6 for lights and make new ring main.

He said item 2 would be cheaper.

So seems to be ok

Also im going to college to sit my part p so i can do it all myself later.

wrightonetwo

stysstys
Apprentice
Apprentice

Garage Electrics

by stysstys » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:29 pm

Hi
The wire comes in to the garage from the cooker point which is fed by
a 30 amp fuse and then goes straight to a junction box (plugs) and lights
So all you need to do is...
Buy a fuse box with two fuses in it, one 6amp and one 16amp
Take the wire coming from the cooker out of the junction box and place it in the new fuse box and fasten to wall (making sure its not live)
Then wire a 2.5mm wire from the 16amp fuse to the junction box (plugs)
and wire another wire 1.0mm from the 6amp fuse to the junktion box (lights)
This will make it safe but please check with an electrician that this is a suitable solution under Part P of the building regulations.
Steph

wrightonetwo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by wrightonetwo » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:08 am

Hi Steph

Thanks for you comments, I checked on what you suggested and it is ok to do that.

I will buy suitable garage unit tomorrow and fit, I have a part P mate next door who will check work.

Cheers

wrightonetwo

john_g
Apprentice
Apprentice

by john_g » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:48 pm

just one point, it isn't necessary to have work done by a qualified electrician to conform to part P, it just needs to comply.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:02 pm

whilst an attached garage may not be covered by partp, any work that is part p area, say a detached garage can be done by yourself or an unregistered person. BEFORE starting such work you must notify local building control dept. & pay a fee for them to visit (or such agent as they may appoint) twice during work. First when wiring, boxes etc installed to check cable routes etc, second at completion of work to check connections etc. however a registered electrician does not have to do this & can 'self certify' his work & register it on-line at the end for a very small fee.

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:57 pm