Garage Home cinema/music room
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cadders
Labourer
Labourer

Garage Home cinema/music room

Post by cadders » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:48 pm

Hi All,

New to here and I am at the first stages of planning my garage conversion and look to all you experts for some help!!

I have a detached single garage which is empty and not used so what better use than putting a home cinema/ music room! It has been the intention to do something with it since last year when we had a conservatory fitted on the house we also had some french doors fitted on the side of the garage (see attached photo). To gain entrance to these doors it is only 10ft away from the doors on the end of the conservatory so not too chilly a journey in the winter!

The room will also serve as a general chill out/summer room hence the large french doors.

A few points to mention are that I do not want to particularly spend a lot; maybe up to £1K. I will spend a little more but only if I really have to. I will be doing all the work myself; consider myself pretty good on diy.

Also, I am not particularly concerned about Building regs if I don't have to. I want to make as good as job as possible and maybe to meet the requirements but don't want to fork out too much. The way I see it is that I intend to leave the garage door on, not spend too much so it wouldn't matter if it is just ripped out whenever required i.e. if we sold (not likely) or if we needed the garage at a later date. The french doors do come with FENSA cert though.
I believe planning consent isn't required. Had planning for the conservatory and already had the doors fitted on the garage when the inspector came round; nothing was mentioned about it.
Welcome your views on this.

I have already a 32A supply installed and new consumer unit ready to install along with final circuits; I am qualified electrician (well 16th edition trained; not my profession for past 8 years but I can arrange tests etc afterwards to get part p sign-off). I have also already got a cable back to the house to the main security alarm. I may also fit another cheap seperate alarm even though the kit isn't really worth much more than £1K. Heating will be electric too.

As the garage is single skin my initial thoughts are to install a combination of thermalite blocks and studding/celotex install. The thermolite will be at the two end of the garage i.e. in front of the garage door and then at the opposite end as it is quite long (20'), I can afford to loose this space. The studding/celotex (say 50mm?)will be on the side walls as the garage is only 8.5' wide.
I would then finish with Plasterboard; maybe just fill in the joins and do something like finish with cheap plain wallpaper to avoid plastering?? Questions I have are:
- is the concrete floor OK for supporting the block wall?
- Is it OK to just build a Block wall next to the Garage Door generally; i.e. damp proofing etc?
- Would I build the block wall right up to the outer walls on either side?

For the floor I can firstly put down a damp proof membrane and then timber frame filled with insulation. Any other suggestions?

With the ceiling, as it is a pitched roof, I thought about more Celotex (say 50mm again) between the joists and finished with Plasterboard again?? It would be good if I could fit a hatch and still use the loft space so would it be OK with loft boards on top of the joists??

I think I will also knock out a couple of bricks either side and put in air bricks for some ventilation for the cavity between the stud wall and external wall maybe?? Will this really be required?

So, please give me some feedback/constructive criticism that I can take on board at this early stage.

Thanks very much in advance

Andy

(Sorry for the long posting

Philbeep
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Philbeep » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:03 pm

With a long, relatively thin room you need to think about the impact of the construction materials on sound. Not specifically for soundproofing, but to prevent unwanted and unwelcome accoustic issues - especially low-end bass.

For this reason, I would consider stud partition for the end walls, well insulated internally and perhaps covered in celotex on the outside surface. This will have the benefit of absorbing sound and making the room more "dead" which is what you want. It's also easier for feeding wires for speakers/projectors, etc.

Also easier to rip out should you ever need to!

Good luck...

synthguy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Garage Home cinema/music room

Post by synthguy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:06 pm

The main thing you need is some sort of insulation.
There is external insulation that you can glue on outside then render over. Obviously will increase size and windows and doors will be recessed.
Alternatively is making a room within a room membrane walls and floor stud it out Insulated and plasterboard it out. This type of project eats material so work the costs out carefully.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:18 am