Garage Insulation

Postby markandjac » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:57 pm

Hi
I have a detached garage which is fairly 5 years old. It is built in a single course brick (apart from the gable and piers). I keep my classic car in there and use it as a workshop. My problem is that when I heat the garage from cold I naturally get condensation which soaks my beloved car and tools etc. I have a dehumidifier but it's not much help really.

I need to know the best way to insulate against this and it seems that something like Gyproc Themaline might do the job?

If this is correct, should it be fixed by dot and dab or battens?
Should the exterior wall be fitted with vent bricks to allow the new cavity to dry?
Any advice would be appreciated
Cheers
Mark
markandjac
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

DIY asbestos test kits

Postby stoneyboy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:11 pm

markandjac,
Fix the boards to the walls using treated battens, use treated timber at the bottom of the boards to keep them off the floor and ventilate the cavity. Keep using the de-humidifier.
end
Should have added that you need to use segmented battens to aid ventilation and probably 2 low level and 2 high level vents on ech side of the garage.
end
Last edited by stoneyboy on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoneyboy

Postby TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:28 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!
TheDoctor5

Postby chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:42 pm

insulation will not stop the condensation - in fact it could heighten the problem by trapping the damp.
the way to stop the condensation is cross-ventilation. get that sorted before insulating.
chris_on_tour2002

Postby markandjac » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:15 pm

Thanks for the guidance Stoneyboy.
Mark
markandjac
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!