garage plans
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kiltyarse
Labourer
Labourer

garage plans

by kiltyarse » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:55 pm

I`m planning to build a timber garage directly onto the side of my property. It will have a sloping roof. Where the roof meets the existing brickwork of my house, what do I need to do here to prevent moisture entering the house through the fixings? I`m assuming a lead or zinc flashing type material will have to be let in to the wall?
Regards, Drew

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:42 pm

K,

USING A RUN OF SILICONE SEALENT APPLIED IN BETWEEN TIMBER AND WALL IS ONE METHOD AND USE OF A MEMBRANE IS ANOTHER.

SILICONE GUNNED INTO FIXING HOLES BEFORE FITTING TIMBER TO WALL WILL PROVIDE AN ADDITIONAL SEAL IF USING MECHANICAL FIXINGS BUT WOULD NOT BE REQUIRED IF AN EPOXY RESIN STUD FIXING IS USED.

WHEN ROOF IS COVERED WITH WHATEVER ROOFING SYSTEM YOU EMPLOY, AS YOU RIGHTLY SAY, A FLASHING SHOULD THEN BE INSERTED INTO MORTAR JOINT AND OVERLAP FINISHED ROOF.

CHEERS,

ALDA.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:16 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 am