Garage Wiring Help
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
leafboy75
Labourer
Labourer

Garage Wiring Help

Post by leafboy75 » Tue May 19, 2009 4:19 pm

I would like some advice. I currently have a House Consumer Unit which has a connection, via a 2.5mm radial connection, to my garage. In the garage I have a two slot consumer unit seperating lights and power. On the house consumer unit I have a 15Amp RCD, in the garage I have a 10Amp RCD(with 2.5 Cable) and a 6Amp RCD (with 1.5mm Cable). In the garage I have four plugs in a radial circuit running a freezer and tumble dryer. When the tumble dryer is used the 10Amp RCD trips.
Unfortunately, I have inherited this disaster. The help I need is how to upgrade everything. It has been suggested to me to either, lay another 2.5mm cable (in Air) from the house to the garage, to create a ring to the consumer in the garage or replace the 2.5mm to the garage with 4mm armoured. After doing this create a ring for the power in the garage and replace the 10Amp RCD in the garage and teh house consumer unit to a 30/32RCD.

Your help would be appreciated...

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Tue May 19, 2009 6:38 pm

Hi, leaving aside the fact that any work in a detached garage &/or the main consumer unit is notifiable under building regs part-p for a moment;
Your tumble dryer will take up to 13A, freezer 2-3A.
easiest/cheapest way is to change house end MCB to 20A & garage end power circuit MCB to 16A, the existing 2.5mm 2 cable is rated up to 27A depending upon its route so suggest get a leckie to check it for you, it may SAVE you money!
regards SPARX

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

Post by moggy1968 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:33 pm

10A for 4 sockets on a radial, thats woeful!!
best advice as above!
even then you may get nuisance tripping depending on what your running, don't do any welding while the dryers on!that dryers going to pulll a good 12A on it's own probably

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:01 am