Garden lighitng
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Garden lighitng

by greengrass » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:04 pm

Can someone enlighten me (no pun intended ) but next door neighbour has had 10 low voltage garden lights installed in a former flower bed in their front garden. The area is accomodates two bungalows with open frontage no fancing permitted. These lights, operated through a PIR, are active during daylight hours, and on/off 24/7.

I don't want to ask them in case they think I am complaining, its the opposite I am happy, they look smart and gives me lighting when I get in my car at night. To me it is pointless that these lights come on during day time hours.

Many thanks

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Garden lighitng

by ericmark » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:26 pm

Not really sure on question but some info which may help.
1) Some PIR's are just that and only detect movement others will detect daylight and heat so can be programmed to work at night only. Often programmed by switching supply on and off so a power cut can re-program them to do some thing not intended.
2) In the garden with England and Wales Part P building regulations require garden items to be registered this can either be direct through the LABC or done by using a scheme member electrician.
3) Low voltage includes 230vac the 12 volt lamps are called extra low voltage.
4) One of the building regulations does limit the lamp size to under 150W unless permission granted by council.

So what is the question?

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

by greengrass » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:04 am

Thank you for your reply, yes not completely clear should have put it clearer then it wouldn't have been 'muddy'

Q:
Why does the neighbours new lights ( Installed by pucker firm) come on in daylight hours when anyone passes through the PIR beam? More curious never thought the PIR could be set to do this.

I can only assume the setting must cover 24/7 depending on level of daylight sensing the PIR has been set to.

My security lights don't come on until dusk and the PIR is de-acitvated on sensing daylight. The only way I can get mine on daytime is the quick off on with the master switch to over ride the PIR then off to re-set it to dusk.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:56 pm

Movement sensing and ambulant light sensing are two different things. Yes often people use devices with both installed but LED lights use very little power and I had problems with my lights because central heating exhaust gases were setting it off. And so I went for movement only sensor.

My friend has the local bird community do it for him. Any stranger in the wood and alarm calls sent out. He knows well before he sees them when he has guests. What is required depends where you live.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:49 pm