Garden Lights and New Circuit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rfanucci
Apprentice
Apprentice

Garden Lights and New Circuit

by rfanucci » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:14 pm

Hi folks,

First time poster here and would like to pose a question please.

I am recently Part p qualified and now looking at the two installations needed for NICEIC assessment.

For one of these I am tending to a long overdue DIY job and installing two external PIR activated lights - for the purposes of NICEIC and for my own experience I am putting these on a new circuit.

My question is: Do I have to use SWA or can i use any other cable with suitable mechanical protection? I am keen to ensure that the work is also aesthetically pleasing and SWA seems only to be available in black (my house is painted white).

I would be very grateful for your thoughts.

Regards

Reno

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Garden Lights and New Circuit

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:40 pm

[quote="rfanucci"]Hi folks,

First time poster here and would like to pose a question please.

I am recently Part p qualified and now looking at the two installations needed for NICEIC assessment.

For one of these I am tending to a long overdue DIY job and installing two external PIR activated lights - for the purposes of NICEIC and for my own experience I am putting these on a new circuit.

My question is: Do I have to use SWA or can i use any other cable with suitable mechanical protection? I am keen to ensure that the work is also aesthetically pleasing and SWA seems only to be available in black (my house is painted white).

I would be very grateful for your thoughts.

Regards

Reno[/quote]

HI . I GATHER U HAVE PASSED A PART P AT COLLEGE ?
IF I GUESS RIGHT U ARE NOT YET READY TO SELF CERTIFY YOUR WORK
AS PART P REGISTERED WITH N.I.C.E.I.C.
U STILL NEED TO BE REGISTERED TO DO THIS WORK AND IT WOULD BE WELL WORTH GETTING A REGISTERED SPARK IN TO ANSWER YOUR
QUESTIONS.
THIS WOULD HELP U TO APPLY YOUR REGS TO THE JOB ( CABLE CHOICE.
OUTDOOR WORK , MECHANICAL PROTECTION , ECT )
AND IT WOULD BE GOOD PREPARATION FOR YOUR ASSESMENT.
GOOD LUCK
BLAKEY1963

rfanucci
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Garden Lights and New Circuit

by rfanucci » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:57 am

HI . I GATHER U HAVE PASSED A PART P AT COLLEGE ?
IF I GUESS RIGHT U ARE NOT YET READY TO SELF CERTIFY YOUR WORK
AS PART P REGISTERED WITH N.I.C.E.I.C.
U STILL NEED TO BE REGISTERED TO DO THIS WORK AND IT WOULD BE WELL WORTH GETTING A REGISTERED SPARK IN TO ANSWER YOUR
QUESTIONS.
THIS WOULD HELP U TO APPLY YOUR REGS TO THE JOB ( CABLE CHOICE.
OUTDOOR WORK , MECHANICAL PROTECTION , ECT )
AND IT WOULD BE GOOD PREPARATION FOR YOUR ASSESMENT.
GOOD LUCK
BLAKEY1963[/quote]

Hi Blakey1963 and thanks for the reply.

Yes, passed Part P and looking to register with NICEIC, but of course need 2 bits of work for assessment.

I spoke to the NICEIC yesterday and they advised that I should go through the building control route and then contact them when the work/s had been certified by BC for assessment.

I can't help feeling that getting a registered spark in would defeat the object of applying what i have learned. Would the spark inspect,test and certify too? If so i couldn't claim it was my own work for assessment purposes?

More questions i'm afraid!

Reno

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:57 pm

Hi Reno, must agree with Blakeys comments as having taken a course still (as NICEIC confirm) can't DIY yet which is not helpful for registration.

Agree with NIC. only way forward is to pay bldg. control fee first then DIY & issue own certs. (find 2 jobs @ home so 1 fee covers both).

Alternatively, carry out several jobs which are not covered by Part P regs, issue certs. to cover what you have done

The person coming to do your assessment will want to see certs, regs, on-site guide, guidance notes 1, 3,& 7, health and safety policy statement, copy of Part P 'approved Document' complaints register, cal. certs for your test gear, register of test sheets issued to date, plus ? & answer session. Most will accept non Part P work as they just need to see you demonstrate, on a job, how you arrived at your results.

Good Luck with assessment, if public knew what it takes to get registered they would understand our rates a bit more!!!!
SPARX

rfanucci
Apprentice
Apprentice

by rfanucci » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:19 pm

Thank you Sparks for your helpful comments and suggestions.

I think that we are all in accord re Building Control fee then DIY and test etc.

I will call them today and check local requirements and notification procedures and take this forward as you both suggest - ensuring both jobs are at home to save time and fees!

With respect to the use of SWA, are there any real alternatives (for the circumstances described in my original post)?

I will use 20mm conduit where appropriate to disguise it if necessary.

Regards

Reno

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

by Jeffmo » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:30 pm

how the heck can you be assesed on work you havn't done , what is the [point of part p courses if you can't ( for want of a better expression ) part p . Total and utter nonscence the people who run the courses should be duty bound to tell people that there courses are therefore a total waste of time .Cheers Jeff I'm just glad i havn't paid my £840 yet .( ANGRY ANGRY ANGRY i might as well throw my C&g 2381 in the bin then)

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:37 pm

Hi agn RENO, sorry didn't answer original ? but so many possibilities, presume u want to bury cable to remote light from PIR? Agreed SWA not pretty, & another option of 'HITUF' hard skinned cable no less so.
Personally I use FP100 type cable which is white, metal screened, & round so quite unobtrusive on house face & use small IP rated J.B. to change to SWA/HITUF at ground level, regards SPARX

rfanucci
Apprentice
Apprentice

by rfanucci » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:45 am

Thank you SPARX. Just the kind of advice I need. Never thought of FP100, which opens up more possibilities.

I plan to do a mock up first (that way I can demonstrate that I have thought it through etc for my NICEIC assessment) which should be useful for Building Control too.

This is a good forum to have found!

Rgds

Reno

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:16 pm