Garden plot and maxium area to extend on
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Garden plot and maxium area to extend on

by kbrownie » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:39 am

Hi, couple of questions, but first a little info. to help you understand my project.
I am looking to extend on to my exsisting property both on to the rear and the side. Then put a garden to the rear and to the front of the whole property. The property is in the greenbelt. My to nearest neighbours have both had extension to the rear of their property, but no garden.
This land does not yet belong to me but I have words with the owner and he has agrred to sell to me.
Q1: Do you need planning permission to create a garden area?
Q2: My current property has an internal layout area of just 491sq foot, my proposed plan would add about 750sq foot to it. Would this be a problem?

Any HELP! would be greatly appreciated
KB

marknhs
Labourer
Labourer

side conservatory problem

by marknhs » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:48 pm

A neighbour next door to us would like to build a 'side' conservatory. He let the cat out of the bag by saying that he will be using this as a 'bedroom' as his only got a small one bedroom house is this illegal ? The 'conservatory' will be 2.8m long & 3.2m high with all 3 sides built of brick with a polycarbonate roof but with no real kind of 'normal' conservatory windows. I'm also thinking it not that great seeing our neighbour laying in his bed from my upstairs bedroom window!!!! The plans also show that he wants to build right on the boundary line. Our property is offset by 112cm from the corner of his, so by building the conservatory we would have close to 4m of brick wall & a 3.2m height level right next to our kitchen door on the boundary line is this illegal? Our rear garden is very small so we only receive a 6 hour window of sunlight in the half area the of garden, but by building this conservatory we would only have a small area of sunlight before disappearing behind this conservatory then his house when the sun travels west after 5pm. Also on the boundary line is a man hole cover under the fence almost 4/5 of it on his side where he wants to build what's the story there ? One last thing the plans show that on the boundary line 1/4 of our 2m high fence would be knocked down can they do this? Do you think he will get planning permission ?????

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: side conservatory problem

by kbrownie » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:31 pm

[quote="marknhs"]A neighbour next door to us would like to build a 'side' conservatory. He let the cat out of the bag by saying that he will be using this as a 'bedroom' as his only got a small one bedroom house is this illegal ? The 'conservatory' will be 2.8m long & 3.2m high with all 3 sides built of brick with a polycarbonate roof but with no real kind of 'normal' conservatory windows. I'm also thinking it not that great seeing our neighbour laying in his bed from my upstairs bedroom window!!!! The plans also show that he wants to build right on the boundary line. Our property is offset by 112cm from the corner of his, so by building the conservatory we would have close to 4m of brick wall & a 3.2m height level right next to our kitchen door on the boundary line is this illegal? Our rear garden is very small so we only receive a 6 hour window of sunlight in the half area the of garden, but by building this conservatory we would only have a small area of sunlight before disappearing behind this conservatory then his house when the sun travels west after 5pm. Also on the boundary line is a man hole cover under the fence almost 4/5 of it on his side where he wants to build what's the story there ? One last thing the plans show that on the boundary line 1/4 of our 2m high fence would be knocked down can they do this? Do you think he will get planning permission ?????[/quote]

Hi, not the sort of reply I expected.
I know very little concerning planning but I don't think your neighbour will not get away with all that, make sure that you have a word firstly with your neighbour about your concerns. always good to do that. Then if not happy with response contact your local council explaining the problems. I don't think your neighbour can touch anything related to your boundaries. The man should always be accessible, so should either be moved (very unlikely) of left exposed. If an application has gone in for conservatory that's what it should be.
Regards Keith

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1