Gas central heating hot water shower problem.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
citroen
Apprentice
Apprentice

Gas central heating hot water shower problem.

Post by citroen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:29 pm

Could anyone help me with this question?I had new gas central heating fitted recently.Everything appears to be working well except for the problem I have when running the shower which comes off mixer taps on my bath taps.I balance the hot/cold water to get the temperature just right for me.This lasts for a few minutes and then the water runs stone cold for about 45 seconds then comes back ok again.It doesn't happen every time,just now and again.Is this normal?The boiler is a Worcester Greenstar 28i junior.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:56 pm

If the hot water flow is restricted, the boiler will reach temperature and cut out.

Try using the shower with hot water tap opened fully ? does it stay hot or still runs cold ?

If it stays hot, Instead of using the cold water to make the shower a safe/desired temperature try having the hot tap open fully, with the HW thermostat turned down.

Will watch for further posts, Is it just with the shower you have the problem ? or taps also ?

htg

citroen
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by citroen » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:34 pm

Thank you very much for your reply.I had a shower today with the hot water tap much more open than I would normally have it and balanced it with more cold water.(my old system was coal central heating with a hot water storage tank).I had no problems so I think the answer is to run the hot water at a stronger flow than I did in the past with my old system.I assume if I run the hot water at a slower flow,some part in the boiler overheats and cuts off the heating for a short spell.Is this a correct assumption?the only other question I have at this time is that when the heating comes on,I can hear a lot of noise from underneath the floorboards for a short spell.Will this quieten down eventually?The system was installed by Scottish Gas.I am reluctant to turn the HW thermostat down(even if I knew how to do it),because I need the water hot for other purposes around the house.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:22 pm

That's correct a sensor or thermistor will cut the burner off when the water in the boiler reaches temperature, not normally notcieable but can be in some cases - for example longer pipe runs.

The noise from under the floorboards will probably just be normal expansion of the pipes. they will rub against joists and floorboards and pipe clips. The only way to solve this is to lag the pipes, clip at regular intervals and open up any notches in joists - but it means lifting the floorboards.

Htg

citroen
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by citroen » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:07 pm

Thank you very much for all your help.It's put my mind at ease.I think I'll put up with the noise rather than lifting the floorboards.I've just had a new carpet fitted and I'd hate to go through all the hassle again. :D

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1