Gas hob - lx connection.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Spook
Labourer
Labourer

Gas hob - lx connection.

by Spook » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:01 am

Can I run the cable which provides the electrical ignition for a gas hob directly to an above worktop FCU (which is on a spur from a nearby socket) or does it have to route through a flex outlet plate first?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:56 pm

Hi, you can run it direct but it makes it difficult to disconnect/reconnect for maintenance as even in conduit you need to tape on a length of spare wire/string etc. if temp. removing as draw wire to get it back in later,
regards SPARX

Spook
Labourer
Labourer

by Spook » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:00 am

[quote="sparx"]Hi, you can run it direct but it makes it difficult to disconnect/reconnect for maintenance as even in conduit you need to tape on a length of spare wire/string etc. if temp. removing as draw wire to get it back in later,
regards SPARX[/quote]

Ah, yes - thanks sparx. That makes complete sense.

So. Would I be right in thinking I'd use 2.5mm sq from the FCU to the flex outlet plate in case a higher load needs to be attached in future?

And this is an incredibly obvious question - but I don't like to make assumptions. The hob ignition will require a 3amp fuse (I think - I'll have to double check). Somewhere I've got a 13amp FCU. Is it okay to simply change the fuse to one of a lower rating or is there some technical or regulatory reason I can't do this? Actually, I'm not even sure you can get FCU's rated at less than 13amps, but, like I say, where the fiery magic string is concerned I don't like to make any kind of assumptions.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:58 pm

Hi agn, yes it's ok to use a standard FCU with whatever fuse rating is needed for the load, 3A would be more than enough for ignition, like plan to use 2.5 to outlet plate for future changes although 1.5mm2 is rated for over 13A so could use that,
regards SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:57 pm