Gas Oven- Grill & hob work but the oven has stopped work

Postby Havana08 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:51 pm

Hi all,

Just seeking some opinions concerning the above. I have no intention of attempting to fix this myself but would like to know if you think its possible to have the fault fixed by a corgi plumber before I pay for a call out.

I have an old & up till now very reliable Parkinson Cowan 7000 gas cooker mains ingition. Both the eye level grill & hobs work fine. The main oven just stopped working and does not appear to be letting gas through but the iginition spark is firing. Everthing is clean and looks connected but it doesn't work. Any idea's and do you think it can be repaired. Thanks Baffled, Havana08.
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby Steve the gas » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:38 am

Hi Havana,

Could be a few things-- get an RGI in to sort it.
Steve the gas
Progress to next rank:

Postby htg engineer » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:24 pm

What's the cooker worth ?

Is it worth paying for a repair - or a call-out to be told it cannot be repaired ?

As said in the other post - it could be a number of things causing the problem.

At the end of th day it's your call.

htg engineer

Postby Havana08 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:40 pm

Hi again,

Many thanks for your prompt replies. I live in a flat and only just found out about these new regulations concerning gas cookers. I ideally would wish to replace my eye level grill cooker with a similar design.

I have checked Comet/Curry's etc & it appears that these are NOW not allowed to be installed in flats.

I now wonder if fitters are allowed to repair old style cookers???

Thanks. Havana08
Progress to next rank:

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!