gas safety questions for acs assements
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alexs1972
Labourer
Labourer

gas safety questions for acs assements

by alexs1972 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:45 pm

Just finished a week in class learning about FLUES and the regulations on Flues so much to take in it not real.

This week i have completed all the ref question in the BPEC book on gas traning was very happy with it.

Couls use some help on gas rates for ( U6,E6.G4.) tho..Heat input work out any helpers?

Depending on the appliances you undertake you could find yourself answering 219 question on the BPEC PAPERS (NOT TO SCARE ANYBODY)
LAUGH OUT LOUD

BPEC CORE DOMESTIC SAFETY TRANING : 142 QUESTIONS IN THERE

GAS SAFETY DOMESTIC CCN1 HANDBOOK : 132 QUESTIONS IN THERE

I RECKON IF ANYBODY CAN AWSNER THAT MANY THEY SHOULD PASS.

IF SOMEONE UNDER TOOK ALL 7 APPLIANCES IN GAS SAFETY THAT WOULD BE 219 QUESTIONS

(493) QUESTIONS IN TOTAL KEEP THE RED BULL COMMING AND THE FAST FOOD. :P

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:50 pm

When I take my ACS assessments I do,
CCN1
CEN1
WAT1
HTR1
DAH1
CKR1
CPA1

'I RECKON IF ANYBODY CAN ANSWER THAT MANY THEY SHOULD PASS'
To pass you have to - you have to get 100% correct, although you get more than one attempt per written assessment. And that's just the written work, you have practical assessments too - and you have to get it right 100% first time.

The best thing you can buy, is the gas safety installation and use handbook.

htg

alexs1972
Labourer
Labourer

by alexs1972 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:56 am

Have done more rading tonight again my brain is flooded with numbers.lol

Reading my BPEC gas traning book over every day almost 5 and 6 hours ady reading just to get as much information as one can so i know i will be ready for my acs in march so i have plenty of time lol.

I would say that the BPEC book on gas safety is not as could as the CCN1 GAS TRAINING BOOK...the question are much harder and wide spread..if i can work out the answres before march on this ibe happy going into my assesments.

Would like now to get more pract in now.

Was at a job with a Gas safe engineer today and we had to price for a new flue for a Volkera h.e. compact boiler..The flue was made of plastic and vertical through the roof.

The customer had 1 engineer out and said it was a fault with the fan and charged inc parts £180.00 rip of...boiler worked only few days then went again...Another guy came out and said the pump was new and could not work out fault so he gave me a call.I went out to thew job with a guy that helped me out on a fit of a new boiler and we where (SHOCKED BY WHAT WE SAW)..boiler still live and flue connection to boiler had melted leaveing a cap of 2inche from boiler to flue..I.D. RIGHT AWAY we have of course turned gas of a valve on pipe and caped it disconnected the power supply to.

uk_ducati
Ganger
Ganger

by uk_ducati » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:47 pm

hi
if i remember rightly there were 8 written papers consisting of about 20 questions each
2 papers were about GSIUR
1 flues
1 Pipework
1 combustion
1 ventilation
1 general knowledge
all of these are open book, meaning you have some books that you can look at to find the answers.
the last one is closed book which is also general knowledge. This has questions in it that you really should know the answers to. eg how long do you do a tightness test for, stuff like that.
basically you will have 1 go at the questions on each sheet. then it will be marked and if you have any wrong you will be given the paper back to re-do the wrong answers. (you will not be give the answer you gave so be carefull). If you still get it wrong it will be refered to an oral question. This will be asked to you by the assessor ( it will be the same question). If you still get it wrong then i think it gets refered to the govening body and you have to retake( not sure about this as it didnt happen to me) Most questions are a 4 answer multipul choice so if you do your studying then you should have no probs.
There are no trick questions and to be honest i didnt think was hard at all. If you study every night till your assesment you should sail it.
as for the practical, if you have been shown how to do installs and services properly you should be ok. Where i did my assesment the assessors were very helpfull and gave good advice aswell

hope this helps
this was on my assesment and it could have changed now so dont quote me on the exact numbers

Please note however that
paul

alexs1972
Labourer
Labourer

ccn1 test

by alexs1972 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:48 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for reply to my post on here,Im not overlie concerned about my gas test if anything im looking forward to it strange as that may be.

Im looking over everthing in detail and then doing self test apaers on myself with a stopwatch to see what im up agiast and to see what i know and need to work out.

I think personally its case of read and read it all and know as much as you feel you need to konw then do it again..bit like a train keep going.

Ive reched module 13 of the BPEC traning book and thought well read the last to section and have a go at the questions i was suprised.

From what we have been told in class so far not to worrieys or anthing but by the time the test papers come we should know enough to pass ist time if not second.

We have had closed book mni tests so far and he seemd happy but it is alot to take in.

Tutor who is teach us right now gave us a powerpoint display on the acs question for the practical side of the thing..elements what there looking for and how you work things out...I think we are worried about the controls as there so many but i guess we will get there.

We have 2months to prepare for this but hes said we will be ready long before that he going to make sure..And to make sure we are he butting togther a mini acs a month before the big day to get us ready cant wait.

THE BEST ADVICE WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN THOS IS DONT WORRIE DONT PANIC DONT THINK ABOUT THE CLOCK TAQKE YOUR TIME AND READ THE QEUSTION ALEAST TWICE BEFORE ANWERING IT.

THATS ALOAD OF WEIGHT OF MY MINE LOL.

thedoctor

Re: gas safety questions for acs assements

by thedoctor » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:32 am

This is a really old post but still read regularly every dfay by loads of people. We are really pleased this is the case as the message of gas safety to DIYers is gettiung through. Take a look at our project page on gas safety for more (although basic) info https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/gas_safety.htm

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:36 pm