All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mondial34
Labourer
Labourer

Gas Water Heater for the Hot Water Tank

Post by mondial34 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:45 am

Hi

I have a Gas water heater for my Hot Water tank.

This has gone wrong and I need a new one.

I am being told you cannot get a seperate Gas Water Heater now unless I put in a whole new Warm Air System boiler (yes I have warm air heating) in which case it will come with a Gass Water Heater.

I don't think this is true looking at information I have found on the HHIC WEBSITE ?

If you can get them where from please ?

What are the makes?

How much are they?

Thanks

Neil.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:37 pm

When I saw your post I was surprised as this is just a standard boiler? I looked on screwfix web site and Baxi Solo Boiler 15 HE was listed. I checked on Baxi web site and this can be used with standard hot coil in cylinder. If you need instant hot water then Bosch Aquastar 1600H will do the job modern equivalent to Main7 fitted in my house. Took a few minuets to find them on the net. Am I mis-reading something?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:28 pm

Ericmark - I think the post is talking about a warm air unit with a water heater - for example the ones I work on quite often are a Johnson Starley Hi-Spec Controlaire, modairflow - with a Janus/eljan/hijan water heater/circulator.

What's wrong with the water heater ? there's not alot to go wrong with them and the flue is connected to the warm air unit so assuming this is ok. I can't imagine it being major.

What's the make and model of the water heater and warm air unit ?

You can still get new burners, heat exchangers/waterways.

mondial34
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mondial34 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:52 pm

htg engineer

I have a Sutherland AG60 gas Warm Air unit in the kitchen that does the heating.

In the airing cupboard next to the tank is a small gas heater which heats the water for the hot water tank.

You have to light the pilot light in it with a match to start it.

It was though not operational when I moved in and the gas supply to it was switched off.

I am assuming it is knackered and do not want to light it.

The makers of this unit are W.H Dean & Son LTD Burnley.

This is the gas heater I want to know if I can replace with a new one or have serviced.

Cheers

Neil

gazza_gg
Labourer
Labourer

Post by gazza_gg » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:37 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]Ericmark - I think the post is talking about a warm air unit with a water heater - for example the ones I work on quite often are a Johnson Starley Hi-Spec Controlaire, modairflow - with a Janus/eljan/hijan water heater/circulator.

What's wrong with the water heater ? there's not alot to go wrong with them and the flue is connected to the warm air unit so assuming this is ok. I can't imagine it being major.

What's the make and model of the water heater and warm air unit ?

You can still get new burners, heat exchangers/waterways.[/quote]

JT19-25 MK2 Modairflow, I have this model and recently my pilot went out for the warm air heating , i re-lit the pilot but now my hot water is not working through the gas , i think there is a seperate unit to work the hot water , i cannot get this to light please advise.

Sorry to hijack this thread , but i am stumped.

gazza_gg
Labourer
Labourer

Post by gazza_gg » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:41 pm

JT19-25 Mk2 Modairflow

I have this system and recently i put the pilot out by pressing a grey button at the top of the system, i got the warm air back on by relighting the pilot, but i cannot get warm water it seems there is a unit attached that needs lighting at the side of the heater unit , can anyone please advise on how i can get this relight and fully functional , i know it will be simple as was lighting the pilot for the warm air.

Sorry to hijack this thread , but i am stumped.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:16 pm

Should be very similar to lighting the warm air pilot.

Black knob on bottom left will have markings on it, 0 *(spark) 1 2 3 4 5

Turn the knob to * then press the spark generator (bottom left of knob) this should light the pilot.

When you release the knob then turn to 1 2 3 4 or 5 depending on what temp you want the water.

Let me know how you get on

gazza_gg
Labourer
Labourer

Post by gazza_gg » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:26 pm

There is a black knob which had 2 buttons one with spark and the other has a white circle, spark button works independantly, but if i press the one with the white circle then both buttons are pressed together.

There is a dial whick has the markings 'hot' and 'off' which turns to either setting, the dial has the words SIT in the middle of it.

When i press the spark nothing seems to happen to clicking noise, can i light this without the spark igniter ?

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:59 pm

I did an internet search and I found this:-
W H Dean & Son Ltd (Dean) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Burco
Dean Ltd and manufactures at Burnley domestic and commercial gas
appliances together with some other products, under the brand name Eastham Maxol.

Maybe you can find info under that name found pictures but not much good to me as I have never seen it.

The web site was something to do with competition-commission hope that helps.

Ian.2
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Ian.2 » Sat May 03, 2008 1:38 pm

I have an Eljan 6 water heater in my Johnson & Starley warm air boiler.The pilot light will not light.Very similar to gazza's problem.Anyone got any suggestions please?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sat May 03, 2008 2:58 pm

Could be a blocked pilot or a faulty thermocouple you have to break gas supply to change/clean so not really a DIY job, get an engineer out to repair.

Hope this helps

Sorry forgot to ask:
Will the pilot not light at all, or does it light but will not hold ?

If it wont light, it could be a blockage or the spark gap may need adjusting or the ignition lead repairing/replacing.

If it lights, but goes off when you release the button, it will be the thermocouple at fault.
Last edited by htg engineer on Sat May 03, 2008 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian.2
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Ian.2 » Sat May 03, 2008 3:34 pm

Thanks htg....Got someone coming to have a look in the morning.

Edit.Guy falied to turn up........It appears to be not ighting at all htg.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon May 05, 2008 10:46 am

If it's not lighting at all, it's probably the pilot is blocked or the ignition spark is not strong enough or the air gap is too large/small.

If you have an ignitor that produces a spark, try lighting that way. You can normally get to the pilot without moving, adjusting or breakaing any gas supplies or devices. If this works, you know it's only the ignition at fault.

It's not advisable to use a naked flame to light any gas appliance, as if the chamber is full of gas where you have been trying to light over and over again it could be dangerous.

htg

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:39 pm