Gate Hanging and Hinge Advice Please
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Duffer
Labourer
Labourer

Gate Hanging and Hinge Advice Please

by Duffer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:26 pm

Hi,

I've encountered a problem or more accurately a choice to be made on hanging the gate. Please see attached pictures

The hinges will be attached to a post at the end of a wall and the latch side to a post at the corner of the house.

Hopefully from the pictures you will see that the top hinge will need to be attached to the top of the new gate but this will be in line with the top line of bricks on the wall. Unfortunately there is a quarry slate drip lip just below the top line of bricks.

gate wall.jpg

IMG_2113[1].jpg

I need to decide to either cut a notch in the lip with an angle grinder so that the new post can be attached fully flush to the top of the wall.....or cut a notch in the post to accommodate the lip. My worry is that the 2nd method will leave the top of the post weakened where it will support the top hinge.

I could put two anchor bolts in the top of the post to strenthen it with option 2.

I just can't decide which is the best/least destructive method to use.

Thank you for reading this and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_2107[1].jpg

howrog
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Gate Hanging and Hinge Advice Please

by howrog » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:02 am

Hi

What you need to make it neat for the top hinge is a hook to screw pin, you could also use it for the bottom hinge instead of the hook plates that came with it like this one:

https://www.perrytrade.co.uk/images/thu ... 1478860007

or hook on plate like this one:

https://www.perrytrade.co.uk/images/thu ... 1478859738

you could also use them for the bottom hinge instead of the hook plates that came with it.

You would need to measure the diameter of the pins that came with the hooks and bands you already have to match them up.

Hope this might help.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:08 pm