Gazco balanced flue gas fire smelling
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

Dvdmattj
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Gazco balanced flue gas fire smelling

by Dvdmattj » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi,
I have had a Studio 1 fitted a couple of weeks ago.
I am having problems with a strong acrid smell which catches at the back of the throat when fire gets hot. Also, the surround, marble slips and wall above the fire get so hot it could burn your fingers (has). This heat is only in one place that is a 6" to 8" strip centre top.
Has anyone been able to resolve this? I have Gasco engineer calling next week, is there anything I need to tell/ask him or insist he should do?

Dave

Saraheoghan
Labourer
Labourer

by Saraheoghan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:47 pm

I bought the gazco studio one fire in June of this year ,, it was fitted in a steel frame void with fire retardant plasterboard ,, I am also getting a strange smell after about ten minutes of fire burning ,, had engineer out from gazco and rectified some installation issues .. More vents in void and extended flue ,, smell still coming from fire ,, contacted gazco today and waiting on another to visit ,, getting quite frustrated now as fire and flue expensive and it appears from previous post that I'm not the only one with the problem ,, can someone let me know have they solved the bad odour ,, ie changing the plasterboard to Surplux

Saraheoghan
Labourer
Labourer

by Saraheoghan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:57 pm

I had a gazco fire fitted in June of this year and bad odour coming from fire ,, fire was fitted in fire retardant plasterboard in a steel frame ,, engineer has been out and I have rectified a few installation problems ,, more vents and bigger flue ,, all done but smell is still appearing after ten minutes of lighting ,, now waiting on engineer to call back ,, getting frustrated now as it appears I'm not the only one with this problem ,, can someone inform me if they have solved this problem

Sarah

bigrdw
Labourer
Labourer

by bigrdw » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:03 am

Well good news is my fire got replaced by Gazco free of charge, they even sent out a third party engineer to change the fire which I was very impressed with. The bad news is I still have the smell, even with taking off the fire proof plasterboard around the fire. After some investigation it turns out my fitter used Aqua Board to fill in the builders opening around the fire, his supplier had ran out of fire board so he was recommended aqua board instead. He contacted the manufacturer and they said that it isn’t suitable for fire installations and any heat over 50 degrees. We suspect that this might be giving off the smell. My fitter has agreed to come back in the New Year to replace the aqua board with fire board. I have also got it logged with Gas Safe to come and check the installation who are coming out in a couple of days. Either way I should get to the bottom of the smell problem. I paid allot of money for the fire and fitting so I want it to be perfect!

Saraheoghan
Labourer
Labourer

by Saraheoghan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:49 pm

Thanks for replying to my query ,, waiting now on a second visit from gazco ,, please keep me updated on your results as by the looks of it my problem is similar.. What plasterboard will u be using , in case I have to change mine ,, is the smell more or less since new fire?? Please keep me updated

Thanks a mill
Sarah

choppa222
Labourer
Labourer

by choppa222 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:29 pm

Guys - has anyone successfully solved this? My fire is mounted in a brick surround so no plasterboard issues and after trying 12 hour full power burns and adding vents I still have this disgusting acidic smell that appears 15 minutes after having the fire on full power.

sarahjane52
Labourer
Labourer

by sarahjane52 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:09 am

I note the latest posting on the 'smelling' problem with the Gazco Slimline is 20 Dec 2012. I also experience the problem and wish to know what progress has been made through reporting the problem.

bigrdw
Labourer
Labourer

by bigrdw » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:34 pm

I have had the back board replaced with fire board but there is still the smell when the fire is on high & gets very hot. To be honest I am losing all patience with it all and have learnt not to fit a fancy fire again. In my eyes this fire isn’t very well designed, I feel the fire casing should be better insulated to prevent it from getting so hot around the casing. They say that this fire can be installed in stud work but I disagree. If I could do this all over again I am going to keep the open fire. I might just have to accept the fact that we have to light a scented candle when we use the fire. This isn't ideal and makes me very angry because I paid allot of money for this fire! I hope someone from Gazco / Stovax is reading this!! My problem is, if I battle with Stovax for a refund or an exchange on the fire I will have to pay for another fire to be fitted so it’s a losing situation for me. Gas Safe have confirmed that the fire is installed within regulation. Plus I want to finish off my front room & this is holding me up!

mdjones
Labourer
Labourer

by mdjones » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:06 pm

I have the same problem, only difference is i have had the fire installed with Vitcas Heat Resistant Plaster & Vitcas Heat Resistant Board. Seems that gazco appear to be ignoring this issue.

Studeb
Labourer
Labourer

by Studeb » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:38 pm

I have the same problem with my Gazco Studio 1 fire as the previous posters on here.

I have:
Balanced Flue
False chimney breast
Metal studded frame and fireboard casing
Plastered and painted to finish

I have had 2 Gazco engineers, 2 new door assemblies and still no resolution to the smell that occurs after a 20 minute burn. Gazco say its the installation and the installer said its the fire.

Has anyone solved this problem such as using Supalux fireboard or is there anything else that can help us?

Your help would be much appreciated

smellyStudio2
Labourer
Labourer

by smellyStudio2 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:51 am

I've had a Studio 2 for about 6 months, and used it daily during the winter. I was told it would give off an odour when first used, but now after a full winter of use I'm concerned it's still giving off the smell. From reading this thread I'm concerned it will never go away. Any fresh idea's on what could be causing it or how to fix it?

FP2013
Labourer
Labourer

by FP2013 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:22 am

Hi Has anyone been able to resolve this awful smell problem?

I too am suffering from this issue on a Studio 2 balanced flue. I had it installed in February - the false chimney is made with concrete blocks so no plaster board has been used. When the fire is on high temperature for more than 15 minutes - the smell begins. We have had Gazco service engineers out last Friday and they replaced the glass door, but unfortunately the smell persists. I've had it on full temp for most of the week-end - 12 hours+ but no change.

Has anyone had this problem rectified?
Or did anyone have to replace this fire with another one - if so which did you go for?

Thanks

Derek h
Labourer
Labourer

by Derek h » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:18 pm

Stay away from these fires. You're not told that you need special plaster, and the wall gets extremely hot. Gazco absolve themselves totally, and there's nothing in the catalogue.
The plaster is nearly £50per tub, and it doesn't feather in so you need to do the whole wall to make it look nice.

FP2013
Labourer
Labourer

by FP2013 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:04 am

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately I already have the fire so need to resolve somehow with Gazco themselves....
I've had to buy this plaster too....it certainly is pricey....but have little choice as I need to get it finished off.
Will keep you posted on progress.

kgerch01
Labourer
Labourer

by kgerch01 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi,

I am looking to install such a fire. Can anybody come back to me with the final outcome of this smell and the root cause please?

Many thanks.

Regards,

kgerch01

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:04 am