Gazco balanced flue gas fire smelling

Postby Huggy009 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:42 am

Dear Mike

Have Gazco responded to you?

I have just had a Gazco Studio Slimline fitted at the start of April and I have 3 major problems with it. I notified my fitter over a week and a half ago when the problems started and they notified Gazco who have so far not responded with a solution.

We have used this fireplace less than ten times: the wall is cracked above the large frame we were advised to choose to hide potential small cracks due to the heat output, the fireplace previously switched itself off after 5-10 seconds (this was intermittent at first but one night we had to 8-10 times before it would stay lit) and now it won't even switch on. It has a new brick effect back panel as the other one cracked after being fitted and this now has a large soot line near the right corner after only being used twice.

I am really concerned after reading these posts and this cost a lot of money plus after less than one month in, there are serious problems.

Thanks
Huggy009

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby bertieandme » Wed May 28, 2014 10:12 am

I've posted earlier in this thread about my fire smelling. After this forum's Staff intervention I contacted Gazco who asked me to remove the front from my fire. I didn't think this would make a jot of difference, but actually it seems to've cured the issue! My fire front is cast iron (I have a stove-type front) and Gazco thinks it's causing over-heat?!

However, you can't leave a fire with the insides exposed as it looks dreadful. Luckily for me, the front of my fire opens - like a real wood burning stove would, so I now have the front back on but open the door when it's in use. OK, it's not ideal but as long as it solves the problem I don't care (I've had issues with this fireplace for 2½ years now and am fed up to the back teeth!).

This is the original fire:
fire1.JPG
fire1.JPG (51.85 KiB) Viewed 231 times

This is the fire without the front:
fire2.JPG
fire2.JPG (55.5 KiB) Viewed 231 times

And this is my solution - to have the fire door open:
fire3.JPG
fire3.JPG (58.49 KiB) Viewed 231 times

I'm still amazed at the "couldn't give a toss" attitude of Gazco staff, particularly as they are aware there is a now a large internet thread about this issue. I probably shouldn't be though - they are the worst company I've ever dealt with for not taking responsibility for their crap products.
bertieandme

Postby thekwaze » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:11 pm

robertgarvie wrote:Hi, I'm needing some advice, just got a logic HE gazco fire installed and having a few issues. The marble surround and hearth and the wooden mantle piece are getting really hot when the fire is on a high(ish) setting. There was no problems with the last gas fire this has only started to happen with the gazco. Does anyone know who should take responsibility - we were shown the catalogue and chose one from only a couple that were suitable. I don't want to have to take out the mantle and surround as replacing the fire was £1500. The smell that made us aware of a problem, we think, is the smell from the overheating surround, mantle, sealants, varnish and adhesives.

I wish I'd read this lot before I had a Gazco Logic HE fitted a few weeks ago!
I can only echo what has already been said by robertgarvie.
The marble above the fire and the wooden surround are untouchable after a short time and I think the constant stifling smell might be the paint on the surround on the verge of melting.
About a week after installation a black dusty film formed above the fire on the marble. We have cleaned this off a couple of times, but it soon returns...This surely cannot be normal??
I have emailed the Gazco technical department and had no response, so will try calling them.
The fitter is coming back in the next few days to investigate, but to leave it in it's current state is simply unacceptable so we have decided not to use it until we have some kind of resolution to this catastrophe.
I would be interested if anyone has had a result after they contacted Gazco?
thekwaze

Sort by
Order by