Gazco balanced flue gas fire smelling
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

61 posts
Delboy72
Labourer
Labourer

Gazco balanced flue gas fire smelling

Post by Delboy72 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:01 pm

I got a Gazco studio 1 balanced flue gas fire fitted 6months ago into a false chimney breast which was constructed in metal studing and fire retardant plaster board after the fire has been on for 30 mins a terrible smell comes from the fire can any tell me what the smell is.

Fire1
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Gazco balanced flue gas fire smelling

Post by Fire1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi

We are having the same problem - did anyone reply?

alanatabz
Labourer
Labourer

Post by alanatabz » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:55 pm

we have had this for almost 2 years

Phoned Gazco today they suggested a full open burn for 5-6 hrs.

Just ried that, couldn;t switch fire off, remote didnt work, local panel didnt work

Still got the smell, will call again on Momday.

choppa222
Labourer
Labourer

Post by choppa222 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:59 pm

I have exactly the same problem - have either of you got any further with this. Mine happens when the fire is on full burn and reaches a certain temperature. I have been racking my brains trying to work out whats wrong and called Gazco a few times and keep getting the "try leaving it on for 24 hours" line....

choppa222
Labourer
Labourer

Post by choppa222 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:26 am

They must know about this is we are all having the same problem. I'm concerned for my health - I have a CO2 detector which isn't regestering any problem, not suprising as you can't smell that anyway, but I'm sure it's a design fault and they don't want to admit to it.

alanatabz
Labourer
Labourer

Post by alanatabz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:32 pm

called Gazco today and explained that by following their recommendations the fire is now faulty

I'm awaiting an engineer to contact me to view it.

The only cover a warranty for 2 years if you get it serviced after a year.

Since we hardly use our fire, when i asked about getting it serviced the installer stated that there's nothing to service really! so I didn't bother, so will have to pay for this visit although told them on the phone, the fire is now not operational becuase I followed their instructions

Fire1
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Fire1 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:30 pm

We are just waiting for an engineer appointment hopefully for this week. Also concerned about this. Will post any useful feedback/solution if and when we find one.

Fire1
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Fire1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:36 pm

Hi all

Have Gazco engineer here today. Our batch number is: 8700BFCHEC30165. Just wondering if you know your batch numbers and whether there might be a faulty batch?

Long shot I know but still no answers so worth considering.

Snowboarder
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Snowboarder » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi all I have just come across this forum, I had a Gazco Studio 2 fitted last year having used
this over the winter period I have noticed this smell,
which I am quite concerned about. Has anyone discovered
What this is yet!!! I have just sent E- Mail to Gazco reference
This problem.

Snowboarder
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Snowboarder » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:52 pm

Delboy72 wrote:I got a Gazco studio 1 balanced flue gas fire fitted 6months ago into a false chimney breast which was constructed in metal studing and fire retardant plaster board after the fire has been on for 30 mins a terrible smell comes from the fire can any tell me what the smell is.

Hi Del

Have you had any luck finding a solution to
This smell being omitted from the fire!!!!!
I have a studio 2 and getting the same problem

I have put a post under snowboarder please reply
If you know any more about this problem.

Cheers Tony

Snowboarder
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Snowboarder » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:19 am

Hi

Have just spoken to Gazco tech support they have advised me that if you have used fire retardant plaster board then this is not suitable, which maybe causing you the smell you are getting he advised using
Supalux fire board, the question is the smell or fumes being produced from the plaster board are these harmfull to you if you have used this.

eeykao
Labourer
Labourer

Post by eeykao » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:48 pm

Hi,
I have had the same problem with my studio 22 with sorrento stone. Gazco replaced the entire 'engine' (as they call it last week) and the smell is still there. They are now blaming the installation saying that the seal is missing. Gazco keep blaming the fitter and the fitter blames the fire, the problem is that they are not talking to each other. Gazco said they would call the fitter and get back to me by the end of last week, i am still waiting for a call, i know i will have to chase them later today.

Worryingly, the Gzco engineer ran the fire for an hour and a half last week and we noticed that the wall above the fire got extremely hot, as though heat was going up the cavity, i am worried that this is a fire risk.

I have a complete audit of every thing that has happened over the past 18 months, if i do not get a satisfactory resolution to this in the next few weeks i am going to look at the legal options.

Has anyone else made any progress with their smells?

Ant

bigrdw
Labourer
Labourer

Post by bigrdw » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi All,

I have just had a Gazco studio 1 fire installed and I am also getting a smell coming from the fire. I have run the fire on high for 8 hours as the instructions states but I still have this bad odour. My fitter used fire retardant plaster board (see pink board below) which looking at previous replies that might be the problem, it hasnt been plastered yet so I can still change it. @Snowboarder - did you change yours to use Supalux fire board as Gazco suggested? Did that solve your problem?

Thanks for your help.

Snowboarder
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Snowboarder » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi I haven't changed mine yet as mine is plastered
With Tv mounted above the Fire, I will be changing
This in Feb for Supalux Boarding, when your fire was installed
Did you remove the plaster from the wall and did it
Have paint on.

Cheers Tony

bigrdw
Labourer
Labourer

Post by bigrdw » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes that was all removed. I spoke to Gazco and they confirmed that fireproof plasterboard is no good because it is still combustible so I am going to change it to Supalux, esp right around the fire before it is plastered. As it happens I have a service call open with Gazco because the fire keeps cutting out and the bottom left hinge was broken when we opened up the fire, hopefully an engineer is going to come out to replace the fire.

Thanks,
bigrdw

61 posts
It is currently Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:06 pm