German Schuko sockets can we use them?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

ericmark

German Schuko sockets can we use them?

by ericmark » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:49 pm

553.1.2 and 553.2.1 both seem to say we can’t use German Schuko sockets but even large firms like RS components sell German Schuko sockets and clearly states Schuko type receptacles can also be supplied conforming to French/Belgian, British, Danish and Swiss standards.
The CEE 7/7 hybrid Schuko/French plug can clearly be used as in French sockets it is non-reversible and the 2.5 amp Europlug CEE 7/16 is OK with class II equipment and can be plugged into our shaver adaptors. Also the Swiss SEV 1011 with offset earth pin (Was at one time [1986] put forward as the standard Euro plug and socket) and Danish Type K also non reversible.

Italian CE1 23-16/VII is reversible but I have not seen any on imported equipment which means in real terms only the German Schuko is a problem.
What are the rules for the use of the German Schuko in the UK. Where they are included with imported equipment do they need changing or are adaptors allowed? I look at RS 453-2775 Man Pt No SCP3-B-13A which say it is approved to BS 5733, BS 1363 by BSi also to PAS003. And has BSi Kitemark. I do note rated current varies to 2.5 amp continuous, 5 amp max, 8 amp, 10 amp and 13 amp and meets DTI Plug and Socket regulations.

How can a converter be allowed and a socket not allowed I am completely confused. I suppose an adapter is no different to a plug and if it requires a tool to put it on and off the Schuko plug that should be OK thoughts please.
Eric

It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:11 pm