Getting Power to pond pump

Postby borderfox » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:14 am

I have no outdoor power option at present - but need power to run pump/filter for a pond. Someone has suggested that I drill through the house external wall and connect up that way. Aside from the fact that I would also need to take up a section of concrete path to do this, I don't want to as its not very energy efficient to puncture the thermal envelope of the house.
There is a standalone oil burner ( just like this -> http://www.firebird.ie/Portals/0/images ... eatpac.jpg ) right next to where the pond will be. I am wondering if its possible to tap the electric feed that is going to this burner for the purposes of running the pump/filter?
Is this wire that I see leading into the burner live all the time or is it likely that the timer/stat in the house cuts power to it to prevent heating kicking up when its not needed??
borderfox
Progress to next rank:
75%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:42 pm

Read up on Part P of building regulations, before you start to do anything.
Look it up on the project pages under part p of building regs.
KB
kbrownie

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!