Getting sky tv in 2nd room
Find answers to popular questions or post your own regarding any aspect of home entertainment

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Debicj
Labourer
Labourer

Getting sky tv in 2nd room

by Debicj » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:38 pm

I need some help to get sky tv to a second tv (not multiroom).

Current set up is: Main tv with sky+ box. Sky box has cable in from dish. Old tv cable is not needed here now but is still connected at box in attic and goes in to dvd player. Upstairs there are 3 rooms with cables connected to the box in the attic. This box has a cable coming in from the old rooftop aerial. The 3 upstairs tv's currently get freeview channels and I would like this to remain as it is.

However, I also want to enable one of the upstairs tv's to get sky from the main tv and to be able to control it from upstairs.

If I take the redundant cable from the aerial that goes in to the dvd and put it in to the sky box, then move the other end of that cable from an output to an input connection on the box in the attic would it work? I would then use a magic eye connected to the tv I want to use upstairs.

I hope this makes sense as I am a real amateur but I can't afford the £160 quoted for this job by a tv installer so I'd like to sort it out myself if possible.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:10 pm

May I suggest that you buy a secondhand Sky box from e-bay or similar?
A freesat box also from e-bay may well supply all the usual channels?
You can also buy wireless transmitters that will pick up the station you are using on your main set.........

razla01
Labourer
Labourer

by razla01 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:08 am

You will need to take a cable from back of sky + box and run it too disred room and add a magic eye, enabling channel changing, or run a new cable from dish (2 outputs on new dish(double cable though)) and run toi desired room and add too new receiver (ebay) and use card from downstairs( but will only get mostly free-to-view) so satbox would be better for this option.

themoffster
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Getting sky tv in 2nd room

by themoffster » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:01 am

To share the same sky box on two tvs, you need to use coax cables.
Connect port RF2 on the sky box to the coax port on the tv.
In terms of being able to change the channel you have two options - a magic eye or if the sky box is connected to the house Internet, you could use an iphone/iPad/iPod touch as the remote via the sky app.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:27 pm