Gloss painting problem
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rossal
Labourer
Labourer

Gloss painting problem

by rossal » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:39 pm

help! I had prepared a previously painted door (sanded and then washed down with sugar soap solution). I did the first coat which seemed ok. put the second coat on about ten hours later and one part of the door the paint started to drag and get almost wave shaped effect. tried scraping off the top layer but even some of the bottom layer began to peel off in layers. over painted but looks awful. any ideas why this happens please. I had the paint some years, could it have gone off? I had painted loads in the same room, just one part is the problem. Now I am also worried if the rest can also peel off if touched, as bits were lifting off with the masking tape.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:26 am

Hi
Have you checked out the DIY Doctor Projects section? https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

Within the projects section you will find a project titled "Woodwork preparation for painting" https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/prepwood.htm
This may be of some use to you

Cheers

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:10 pm

I'm guessing you didn't leave long enough between coats.

Check the tin for advice but I'm sure gloss normally needs a minimum of 16 hours between coats.

It sounds like the solvents in the 2nd coat have reacted with the part cured 1st coat and have basically caused it to unset. Hence it will "pull" the paint and make a horrible mess.

To fix leave for 24 hours then sand back and start again.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:32 am