Glossing new front door and frame
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pilsburypie
Labourer
Labourer

Glossing new front door and frame

by pilsburypie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:37 pm

Hi all

About to have a new hardwood door and frame fitted. Comes primed but no top coat. I want to gloss the door and frame white but was wondering how to do so and stop it sticking.

I was going to use Dulux trade gloss as I've used it before and like the high gloss finish, but the paint takes ages to dry and even then stays tacky for days. The last door and frame I did inside the house had the luxury of being open for 48 hours, but even then the door stuck to the frame pulling bits of paint off.

I could paint the front door and frame first thing in the morning and keep it open but it would have to be shut at night some 12 hours later. This seems a recepie for disaster!

Did I once hear you could spray WD40 on the new paint to avoid sticking?

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:41 am

Hi, hardwood and gloss paint don't really go together. You say it comes primed which is strange for a hardwood door, but if the door has been primed then it will need at least 2 undercoats before giving it a topcoat, with a light rub down between coats. The best thing to stop it sticking would be to paint it first thing in the morning, then it's got the rest of the day to dry before you need to close it. If it is left for about 8 hours it should be dry enough to close. If it sticks that badly then I would say there is not enough room between the door and frame to allow for the paint as paint has thickness. Shed.

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:07 am

As above only cheap doors come pre primed as most hardwood gets varnished.

Get gliddens acrylic brilliant while gloss. Dries in 10 min you need to be quick with this paint to make it look good tho. Give it a thin with some water to help you spread it evenly. But remember to prime undercoat 1st and allow to dry sanding each coat.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:52 pm