Glugging noise in pipes
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jenthemedic
Labourer
Labourer

Glugging noise in pipes

by jenthemedic » Mon May 07, 2007 1:15 pm

I've got a glugging noise coming from the pipes upstairs when the central heating is on. The radiators are working fine with no cold spots.

powerflushman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Glugging noise in pipes

by powerflushman » Sun May 20, 2007 11:04 pm

Hi Jen has this just started or an old problemb? but sounds like a build up in the pipes of scale, is the system an open or sealed? if open then you can get some scale/noise reducer from your local plumbing suppier, and pour it in the header tank, PLEASE make sure it is the small header tank and not the large one if only one tank then you may need to call out someone to do this
Hope this helps :lol:

stokie
Labourer
Labourer

by stokie » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:33 pm

hiya jen sounds like there is air in your heating sytem try bleading the radiators to see if this helps If you have a sealed system dont forget to top up the system after bleeding via the filling loop.

The Governor
Apprentice
Apprentice

by The Governor » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:48 pm

I also get this problem, it's always been like it since we moved in a few years back.

One of our rads regularl needs bleeding, it's my theory that the header tank is a bit too low and is sucking air in when it pumps.

I think raiing the header would solve it, but can't be sure and can't bring myself to do the work and find out it isn't that!

Im certai we have no leaks unnless they're completely imperceptible.

I'm tempted to try some descaler as suggested, just in case resistance is making the header tank height problem worse...

The Governor
Apprentice
Apprentice

by The Governor » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:00 pm

Sorry to resurrect this thread!

I was talking to a bloke at my nippers sports day last week and he was saying to put some "squeegy" in the expansion tank, after some targeted questioning :D it transpired he meant washing up liquid.

Does this sound like a wind up to you guys? Because it did to me!

tsb
Tradesman
Tradesman

by tsb » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:49 am

puttin a squirt or two of washing up liquid in isn't a wind up.It can help

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1