Golden Rules of Interior Design - Help Wanted
Your comments on how to design the perfect home - And help others do it !

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tudordavies
Labourer
Labourer

Golden Rules of Interior Design - Help Wanted

Post by tudordavies » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:07 pm

Hi,

My name is Tudor and I am writing a blog about the golden rules of architecture and interior design. Would members be open to providing me with their Golden Rule, the one piece of advice they stick to or would recommend others to follow, or perhaps just a sound principle they have learnt and now swear by.

Basically I want to compile these into one blog post, giving the best advice. If you would help me it would be much appreciated. All I need is your quote (50-150 words), your name and your location.

I will also give credit to the forum for helping me to write the piece, as well as all contributors.

Thanks,

Tudor

DIYDoctor1
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Golden Rules of Interior Design - Help Wanted

Post by DIYDoctor1 » Mon May 19, 2014 12:44 pm

Hi Tudor,
No small topic that you want to tackle?!

We have a whole section on Interior Design which might give you some inspiration and some more practical advice:
https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/diy-how-to- ... design.htm

It's hard to pin down one Golden Rule, but this is probably our interior design mantra

"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful."

No credit can be taken by DIY Doctor for this was first said by William Morris.

tonys
Labourer
Labourer

Post by tonys » Tue May 20, 2014 8:03 am

Hello Tudor,

That does sound like a big blog to write. We like to write posts about interiors and how to make a big difference with a small budget and small changes.

I would say my Golden rule for Interior Designs would be "Less is More".

Hope this helps!

Tonys.

Mariaen
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Mariaen » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:35 pm

Only one expressive pattern combine with smooth walls, This is good rule in interior design.

Hugh Schkok
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by Hugh Schkok » Mon May 13, 2019 8:33 pm

Artistic flair, good sketching abilities, a colour wheel and a set of decent water colours. Architectural fibre pens can run into hundred of pounds so caveat emptor.

A PC with a colour package installed, paint box, Google Sketchup Pro, Turbo cad Interiors (latest version). and be sure you have a grading colour scale as almost all s/w that uses a colour palette does.
I think the Golden Rule has to be There isn't one. Design is a subjective issue and originates from your collection of mental images that you like or dislike. A sketch pad and time.

Do not be afraid of convention it sucks even on a good day. You may also need a builders catalogue (Selco is a good one) to see the off-the-shelf and available products, sizes colours and all.

My raison d’etre is architecture. i live for it and adore it and I have found that there is a line that makes architecture great, cross over it and you have a big pile of poo at your feet. So try in a sandbox and when you get it right and to your liking then it is right.

Study Russian architecture and Italian, French stuff is good too all available on the Internet. Look, digest and sketch. All great architecture begins with a little piece of wood.

Let us know how you get on I am so, so interested in your project and will help if I can. However this is my home now and I may find it difficult to pull away.

Enjoy

Hugh

eladesign
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by eladesign » Fri May 17, 2019 6:38 am

For me the golden rule is that you should show your own personality in your design.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:21 am