Granite wall drylining
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
marc1
Labourer
Labourer

Granite wall drylining

by marc1 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi,

I am in the process of striping old crumbling lathe and plaster in a granite house .Internal walls are no problem I can screw new plasterboard on after insulating. The problem is on external walls. It seems 100 years ago wooden pegs were knocked into the uneven surface of the granite and wooded battens attached to these. These pegs are now decaying and the battens becoming loose. Could anyone advise on what to do.

1. screw metal batterns to the wall and use variable spacers to bring the wall to the same distance.(is this stuff available)

2. screw wood to the wall and padd out to same distances. what about dampness with the wood

The current spacing between stud and granite is 30mm and I was hoping not to have to build false stud partition walls. This has sort of stumped the DIY plan

sorry for the long explanation Thanks

Marc

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:58 am

Hi marc1
You can get metal stud work, in fact it is quite common in new office installations. This is fixed very similar to timber stud work. But usings metal bits, pop rivets, bolts and screws.
To resolve damp you would be advised to place a moisture resistant membrane between wall and stud work then after installing insulation use moisture boards.
Have a look on the British Gypsum website could give you a good idea on the type of stuff available.
Regards and best of Luck
KB

demon
Apprentice
Apprentice

by demon » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:03 pm

If you go into any branch of cpd or ccf (both commercial drylining - google them for your earest branch) and ask for information on gypliner (or their in house equivalent) it's basically a metal stud frame fixed to variable depth brackets - it's pretty cheap and dead easy to install. You can insulate behind the studs with celotex or if you've got the money you can buy gyproc thermal board that already has the thermal insulation bonded to the plasterboard.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:25 pm