Grant 90 Combi boiler Control Unit water damaged ????
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nathan123
Labourer
Labourer

Grant 90 Combi boiler Control Unit water damaged ????

by nathan123 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:15 pm

Hi can anyone help.

I had a brand new Grant Combi 90 v3 boiler installed 8 months ago and its been no trouble. I have been on holiday for 2 weeks and when i returned and switched this on it blew grey smoke from the flu and would not ignite.

With tips over the phone from the original installer i removed the burner to find water had been blown into it or at least around the pipe into the burner leaving alot of water around the seal. My question is..... is it true that i need to purchase a new control unit at 200-300 pound.... Will it be the control unit that has gone??

Seems a little unfair that after 8 months water has got in and caused this much damage?? Is there no way of drying out the water which has got into the burner and why would the water get into the control box if it is a partially sealed plastic box on the outside of the burner??

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Nathan

wishiwascorgi
Tradesman
Tradesman

by wishiwascorgi » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:18 pm

Hi Nathen,

First you must find out how the water got in. Was it due to the installer installing it incorrectly or is a manufacturer's fault. Either way you are not financially responsable for this fault. Get a different heating engineer in to look at the problem and see what he says. You may have to pay him for this, but then you would know. If it is the installer he has a responsabilty to fix the boiler at no charge to yourself. If it is a manufacturing fault the you should be able to get a new boiler or at the very least new parts that have perished.

jondeau
Ganger
Ganger

by jondeau » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:30 am

Seems very odd that water could get into the control box........but if it has it is very likely that it will have ruined it.

Personally I would dry out the burner (hair dryer is good for this) and try and light the thing again.

When you tried to light the thing before, it must have gone into the ignition sequence even if it failed to fire, therefore the control box must be working at least to a degree...........maybe it was just damp on the electrodes.

If it does not go into the ignition sequence when you retry it, don't forget to push the lockout button......I have found on many boilers that the red light does not always come on even though it has gone to lockout.

nathan123
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks for your reply

by nathan123 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:51 am

[quote="wishiwascorgi"]Hi Nathen,

Hi, Many Thanks for your reply to my post..... I called the original installer and he was reluctant to come back out and have a look as he was too busy...Typical.

Anyway he advised me that the heavy downpour of rain which we have had has probably driven into the Flu on the outside of the house, run down the pipe and into the Burner which may have got into the control unit. I too find it hard to beleive that it got into the control unit as the control unit itself has not been sat in water but the burner itself did have about an inch of water at the bottom and the seal where the burner pipe goes into the boiler was full of water too.

I had been on holiday for 2 weeks at the time therefore the boiler was off, therefore was not evaporating any water that did get in... Still think it is poor that this can happen and now im frightened of going on holiday again, although i presume a plastic bag over the flu may save it in the future, but just seems odd that in this day and age i would have to take these precautions??

Im currently drying the burner out to give it another go.

Any further thoughts would be interesting, Thanks again.

First you must find out how the water got in. Was it due to the installer installing it incorrectly or is a manufacturer's fault. Either way you are not financially responsable for this fault. Get a different heating engineer in to look at the problem and see what he says. You may have to pay him for this, but then you would know. If it is the installer he has a responsabilty to fix the boiler at no charge to yourself. If it is a manufacturing fault the you should be able to get a new boiler or at the very least new parts that have perished.[/quote]

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1