Gravel Depth Query
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
legin
Labourer
Labourer

Gravel Depth Query

by legin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:26 am

Hi folks,

I have a well-compacted gravel driveway (15+years) in need of new gravel. Have square meterage but am at a bit of a loss as to what was originally laid depth-wise as top layer (apart from being pea gravel). Obviously this affects the cost and we're talking of ~ 410m2.

Similarly I wonder whether to consider split gravel to aid binding better since driveway gets constant traffic for three houses..?

Any learned advice on these would be very much appreciated - I searched the Projects but there is no mention of typical gravel depths for such a re-surfacing project.

legin :?

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:38 pm

L,

25mm- 50mm (1"-2") IS NORMAL FOR A TOP UP.

THIS DEPTH WORKED A TREAT ON MY DRIVE.

AT 25mm DEPTH 10 CUBIC METRES REQUIRED.

AT 50mm DEPTH 20 CUBIC METRES REQUIRED.

THE "SPLIT" PEA GRAVEL WILL COMPACT BETTER THAN ROUND PEA GRAVEL WHICH TENDS TO ROLL AND DRIFT UNDER VEHICULAR TRAFFIC.

ANOTHER TIP IS TO BUY THE GRAVEL IN ONE LOAD FROM A LOCAL QUARRY ( ASSUMING A TIPPER LORRY CAN GAIN ACCESS TO YOUR PROPERTY) AS THIS WORKS OUT MUCH CHEEPER THAN BUYING MANY BULK BAGS FROM A BUILDERS MERCHANT.

HOPE THIS HELPS,

ALDA.

legin
Labourer
Labourer

by legin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:18 pm

Many sincere thanks for the response ALDA - it is [b]really[/b] helpful and I'm in contact with local quarries as I write..! It'll be a super job, courtesy of your knowledge on such matters!

A superb forum - and even more superb members - THANK YOU again :-))

legin :)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm