Gravel round wooden fence posts?
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nailedit!
Apprentice
Apprentice

Gravel round wooden fence posts?

by nailedit! » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:06 pm

I have just put up an all -wood fence (posts, gravelboards & panels), using postmix.

I followed the instructions exactly, digging holes the right size and depth, but the mix did not fill the post holes right up to ground level.

A neighbour suggested cutting the bottom out of a big plant pot, dropping it over the post and filling with pea gravel, then backfilling the rest of the hole with soil. Would this be OK. or would the gravel hold too much moisture and rot the posts, (which have been presure treated)?

Alternatively would it be better to use more postmix on top to fill the holes?

Yout advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:25 am

nailedit!,
"would it be better to use more postmix on top to fill the holes?" YES
end

avs
Labourer
Labourer

by avs » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:13 am

Did you pour the postfix in before putting in the fence posts so that there is mix below them? This could cause problems as it will prevent the water draining and may therefore rot the fence posts. This would also explain why the postfix didn't fill the hole, it is a common mistake when installing fence posts.

If not then I don't know why the postfix didn't fill the holes. You would definitely be best off filling the holes with more postfix.

nailedit!
Apprentice
Apprentice

gravel round fence posts

by nailedit! » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:51 am

Thanks Stoneyboy. Will do it as soon as it's dry enough.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:49 am