All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JustNod
Labourer
Labourer

Gravity Shower Pressure/Flow

by JustNod » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:40 pm

Hi

I let out a house I used to live in. The shower "pressure" is poor but I don't remember it being so poor when I lived there. I wonder whether it might have deteriorated - could it be some kind of build-up in the pipes? A new bathroom suite, taps and shower attachment have also been fitted since I was living there so perhaps that had an impact.

The bathroom is upstairs and the cold tank is in the loft probably not much more than 2 feet above the shower head (guessing). I removed the shower head and experimented with different hoses. One which was about 1.5cm internal diameter was filling a bucket in about 25 seconds while the existing hose (about 0.75cm) took 40 seconds. As soon as I attached the shower head, however, the fill time increased back to 40 plus seconds.

Does this imply that I could improve the flow rate using a wide hose and a different shower head?

I realise that pressure and flow rate are two different things. If I am successful in increasing flow rate through the shower I assume I will make for a more satisfactory shower "experience".

I have been quoted the best part of £1000 to fit a pump and I feel that's too much to spend. If the problem is not solved by new shower hose and head, might it be solved by raising the tank and might this be cheaper than a pump?

Many thanks.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Gravity Shower Pressure/Flow

by Perry525 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:15 pm

If you have the space, its a good idea to raise the header tank onto a platform, as high as possible, this will increase the pressure and flow.
Using a 22 mm pipe direct from the cold tank to as close to the shower head as possible will also increase the quantity of water, if you can use large bends rather than elbows this will also improve the flow.
Running a 28mm pipe from the hot tank with large bends will also improve things.

One thing to watch out for is that the new fittings may be intended for a high pressure mains supply.
You do need shower fittings for a low pressure system.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:14 am