Grid Neon Light Wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alfie_j
Apprentice
Apprentice

Grid Neon Light Wiring

Post by alfie_j » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:53 pm

I bought a grid neon light so that I can see if I've left the lights on in my cellar.

I got it to work by connecting the terminals to a live and neutral feed but I am curious as to why the two terminals are marked L1 and L2 - why not L and N?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Grid Neon Light Wiring

Post by Mr White » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:39 pm

It is up to the manufacturer what they decide to designate each terminal as. A guess would be they use the same connection part as a switch they also make.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Grid Neon Light Wiring

Post by ericmark » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:42 pm

In the main they seem to get it wrong the other way around, with 110 volt we don't have a neutral so all 110 volt stuff for UK site use should have L1 and L2 not L and N, yet most yellow plugs still have L and N. Even yellow cable has brown and blue instead of brown and black which would be right colours for British 110 volt site equipment.

As said likely the moulded part is used for more that just that switch so the numbers L1 and L2 are used. OK since a 230 volt neon it will not be used with L1 and L2 with that neon but it could be with other uses.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:12 pm