GRP Roofing Advice for 1939 Detached Bungalow
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

kimgary
Labourer
Labourer

GRP Roofing Advice for 1939 Detached Bungalow

by kimgary » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi, I am after some advice, I live in a 1939 built detatched bungalow with a 3 layer felt roof, this was replaced in 1989 after storm damage, From memory when they renewed it, the sub structure was planks/boards of solid canadian timber about 19mm thick. I had a quote from someone doing a roof opposite who said they would use a machine like a lawn scarifier to remove the grit off the existing felt and then coat it with a resin for £9500.
Looking at the roof in my opinion its at the end of its life, I was thinking of doing it myself in GRP, I have done 2 garage roofs with it in the past and had no problems, I did have experience with grp repairs to cars etc. The roofs on the garages were replaced with 19mm marine ply and then the roof bonded to that.
Question, if i removed the existing felts would it be ok to board over the sound sub roof/planks with 6mm osb3 or ply screwed to the existing wooden structure and then bond grp to that or would i have to use 19mm osb?My thinking is I only need to provide a good stable surface to bond the grp to as the sub roof is sound and stable, I would obviously replace any damaged / rotten sub sections before boarding over and grp. I shall also have to think of someway of making it water proof after laying a section, I figure I can remove felt and board and grp and top coat a area the size of a single garage in one day I shall have about 10 times that area to do.Any help guidance would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:39 pm