GU10 Downlight Bulbs Jammed in Holders
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SamuelHolmes82
Labourer
Labourer

GU10 Downlight Bulbs Jammed in Holders

Post by SamuelHolmes82 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I have downlighters in my kitchen that use GU10 bulbs. Over the past 3 years the bulbs have failed one by one. When they fail I just replace them with LED bulbs. However I have two bulbs that I have been unable to change because they have become jammed in the holders. I've tried everything and I cannot get them out. I've twisted them, prodded them, poked them. I've tried gentle coercion and I've stood there, angry and swearing! They WON'T BUDGE. One of the bulbs has now broken, but when I try and attack the ceramic end cap with pliers it just breaks off and it's now getting harder to grip it.

So I've given up, and my solution is now to try and replace the lampholders. I found these online:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lyyt-GU10-Lamp-Holder-Base/dp/B000L99VQE/ref=pd_sbs_60_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1AZ329SA4NQVEHD27SBF

Am I correct in thinking that it's just a case of cutting off the existing lamp holders and then soldering these on or using terminal blocks? Is there anything I need to consider? What about polarity - how do I test that?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: GU10 Downlight Bulbs Jammed in Holders

Post by Mr White » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:38 pm

Assuming you can get the lamp holder (and lamp) out without too much damage then yes you can solder the new lamp holders on. Be aware you should also use heat shrink sleeving, or you could use Wago connectors (Amazon sell those too)

Posted @ 20.38

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: GU10 Downlight Bulbs Jammed in Holders

Post by ericmark » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm

No polarity, as to if wires are long enough to fit terminal block not a clue.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:35 am