Gurgling from Waste Pipes
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gymark2002
Apprentice
Apprentice

Gurgling from Waste Pipes

by gymark2002 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:43 pm

I live in a newly built Town House, when ever I empty a sink or bath or shower on the top floor the water going down the plug makes a horrible gurgling noise which can last up to 5 minutes, this has only just started happening.

Any cures or ideas to solve this problem would be great.

richieplum
Apprentice
Apprentice

by richieplum » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:04 pm

Regarding the gurgling from your waste pipes. This is caused by a vacuum arising within the waste system resulting in syphonage occurring at the trap of the appliance. It can be cured by fitting an air admittance valve at a suitable point in the system, or more simply by fitting anti-syphon traps at all appliances. As the fitting of an air admittance valve would need to be undertaken by a plumber (fitting one in the wrong location would be useless), I would recommend the anti-syphon trap option. Depending on the type of trap fitted at present ( 'P', Bottle os 'S' ) some alteration to the pipework may be necessary because all anti-syphon traps are bottle type.

Bay Plumbing
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Bay Plumbing » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:31 pm

Richieplum
is right but you can also use a Hepv0 trap as i have used on a few jobs were this problem has happened

Mark

peterwarby
Labourer
Labourer

by peterwarby » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:32 am

Richieplum,

My gurgling has started after about 1 year since installation. Why now??

Typically, when bath empties upstairs, kitchen sink gurgles (accompanied by s smell).

Not practical to fit anti-syphonic trap on bath but sink no problem.

Is trap to sink the answer?

Peter

muttley
Tradesman
Tradesman

burp

by muttley » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:35 pm

[quote="Bay Plumbing"]Richieplum
is right but you can also use a Hepv0 trap as i have used on a few jobs were this problem has happened

Mark[/quote] richieplumb is bang on.you cannot have water dropping several feet without implications to the rest of the system.anti syphon traps are the only way forward apart from redisigning your waste system.good luck

richieplum
Apprentice
Apprentice

gurgling pipes

by richieplum » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:50 pm

Due to how a bath trap is constructed it is ALMOST impossible to "pull" one. That is, cause siphonage within it. I have never known it happen, although I am sure that someone somewhere would be able to contradict me. The answer is anti-syphon traps at all appliances where you hear the noise. The HEPvO trap is very useful in circumstances that can accomodate them, and where a trap that won't dry out is necessary, for instance a blow-off from a mains pressure under-sink water heater where an external wall is not available/practical. They can also be useful under a cleaner's sink perhaps where football boots are cleaned and mud can pass straight through. In a domestic situation the only place I could see them being used is in one of those dreadful basin pedestals with the little hole in the back where a straight through trap is needed. Other than that, they cost about £12 to £15, depending on where you buy them whereas an anti-siphon trap is about £5 to £7.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:10 am