Gurgling Sinks in Main Bathroom and En-Suite in 2000 Redrow Property
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Phil123
Labourer
Labourer

Gurgling Sinks in Main Bathroom and En-Suite in 2000 Redrow Property

Post by Phil123 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:45 am

Hi, I'm fairly new to this forum but I generally do a lot of my own maintenance around the house so joining the site seems like a good thing to do.

Though over the past 12 months I have encountered a problem that I have been unable to fix . My house was built in 2000 by Redrow. Upstairs, the main bathroom and en suite are next to each other. The sinks from each are practically back to back and both gurgle once they have drained. The main bathroom sink gurgles quite loudly and goes on for some time after the water has drained away with no real relation to the volume of water that has drained away. Whilst the en suite gurgles less loudly and not for as long either, however it only occurs when large volumes of water drain away from it.

I have removed and cleaned out both water traps but this has done nothing to solve the problem. The traps are identical on each sink and are quite compact. (I realise I should have photographed them before putting them back on but at the time it never crossed my mind.) I have also poured every drain cleaner down the sinks you can think of and this has not done nothing.

I cannot see any air valves on the side or top of the house (as was mentioned on an american website, suggesting they could be blocked) and I'm now out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this problem? Any ideas or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Pictures can be provided if anyone thinks they would help them.

Mad110
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Gurgling Sinks in Main Bathroom and En-Suite in 2000 Redrow Property

Post by Mad110 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:07 pm

It's due to the length of the pipe work or speed at which the water goes through the trap, it can cause syphoning. The water is being sucked out of the trap and it gurgles, like an upturned pop bottle, you can install an 40mm air admittance valve near the trap. If there is a 90 degree bend after the trap, swap it for a tee and put a short length of pipe and then the valve( the higher above the trap, the better). Screw fix or toolstation should stock them.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:02 pm