gutter clips break
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
eckyhen
Labourer
Labourer

gutter clips break

by eckyhen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:38 pm

I am replacing my guttering which was brought down by snow sliding off the roof. I am using Marley 110mm half-round plastic with plastic clips. The problem is that the clips keeps breaking when I snap them on to the gutter - about one in every three goes this way. I assume I am doing it the right way, i.e. fitting the back of the gutter in to the back of the clip and then pushing the front of the clip to snap it over the front edge of the gutter. The only thing I can think of is that the clips may be brittle in cold weather. It was about 6C today. Either that or they are faulty.
It's not so much the cost, about 60p each, just a damned nuisance as you need to undo the gutter to replace the broken clip.
Any ideas?[/u][/code]

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

gutter brackets

by welsh brickie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:17 am

keep them in a bucket of warm water,right up to the minute you will use them.this will prevent them breaking

eckyhen
Labourer
Labourer

Re: gutter brackets

by eckyhen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:11 pm

welsh brickie wrote:keep them in a bucket of warm water,right up to the minute you will use them.this will prevent them breaking

Thanks for your advice on that.
So you agree, it is the cold which makes them brittle.
I don't think it would be very practical to keep them in warm water as by the time you've put up enough for a length of gutter they would have cooled to ambient temp. I warmed them with a hair drier before clipping them to the gutter which has solved the problem.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:31 pm