guttering adapters
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gazzabejan
Labourer
Labourer

guttering adapters

by gazzabejan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:48 pm

Hello, i`m a newbie on here and in need of some advice if possible. The problem I have is that I am in the process of renovating a house for my family to move into, and have recently had an extention built to the side of the house. I had a guy out to fit the guttering and was happy with the job he did, unfortunately the neighbours thought that it looked like the gutter along the side of the extension was over their boundary. I went up a ladder and with the use of a plumb bob found that it was around 10-15 millimeters over, on telling them this they are demanding that I "sort it out or else". The guttering is 112mm and I know that its possible to get smaller like 76mm miniflow,but I`m wondering whether or not there are adapters on the market that would reduce 112mm to 76 as I dont really want to change all the guttering, just the length along the side of the extension and perhaps with the use of an adapter elbow, connect straight to the side gutter.

Any advice would be great or even another suggestion.
Thanks
p.s-would put a pic up to illastrate but not sure how

ccltd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: guttering adapters

by ccltd » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:48 am

I would be careful changing the gutter to a mini flow. You could make a bigger problem by making the gutter unable to handle the rainwater run off.

These are the sort of questions you should be asking your self, if you could provide answers i will help you out.
1. What is the area of the roof that the gutter is going to serve
2. Its it double story
3. Does the new extension roof join into the old roof with a vally (if so the gutter will be taking some of the rain water run off from the exisiting house roof)
4. Is the gutter fixed to a fasica that is against the brickwork or is the gutter fixed to a facsia that has a sofft board.

My advice is to not change the gutter but to change the thickness of the facsia or soffit board.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:32 pm

call out the building inspector to survey the problem,if he says you have to change it then you have to if he finds there is no basis in their complaint,you will not have to do a thing.15mm is not a sound basis to replace the guttering.

gazzabejan
Labourer
Labourer

by gazzabejan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks for the replies, inspector did come out to view our progress with extension and i did mention to him about the neighbours gripe with the gutter, he told me to ask them to call out a surveyor from the land registry if they wanted to pursue it then they would have to foot the bill for it, and being as their garden fence posts were well inside our boundary it wouldnt pay them to do so. I mentioned it to the neighbours and no more was said, cheers.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:07 am