Had a dodgy driveway built
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
domiles1
Labourer
Labourer

Had a dodgy driveway built

by domiles1 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:05 pm

I cleared a mini woodland next to my house, all the trees were dead, and got a company in to build a block paving driveway to put my cars. The driveway has sunk a bit in various places, mostly where cars have been driven on and off. I did not research how a drive SHOULD be built, just assumed they'd do it properly. All I remember is sand going on top of the mud, then the bricks. Should there be something, a strong base, before the sand? Are there any building control regulations regarding this sort of work? Ideally I'd like to get part of it dug up to see how it was made and get them forced to do it properly but not sure how to go about it or whether I can get any help from any authority.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Had a dodgy driveway built

by welsh brickie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:46 pm

You have been done!! Unfortunatly.You can call trading standards,but unless they are part of an institute like," Marshall register for approved installers" there is not really anything you can do.They needed to lay a crushed stone base of at least 150mm thick and heavily compacted first.Then 50mm of compacted sand then the paviors laid and compacted with a plate compactor.
Sorry!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:11 pm