Hairline Crack Keeps Appearing in Ceiling Even After Repair
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PeterJ
Labourer
Labourer

Hairline Crack Keeps Appearing in Ceiling Even After Repair

Post by PeterJ » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:10 pm

I have had a ceiling skimmed but a hairline crack keeps appearing. I applied a coat of polycell ceiling crack paint with good results. However I Needed to apply a second coat and the crack reappeared. on close inspection it appeared that the paint had been squeezed out of then crack and formed what looks like a very fine bead on the crack. I sand the area very lightly and applied a third coat, but the outline if the crack reappeared. Any ideas please?

PeterJ
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Hairline Crack Keeps Appearing in Ceiling Even After Repair

Post by PeterJ » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:51 am

PeterJ wrote:I have had a ceiling skimmed but a hairline crack keeps appearing. I applied a coat of polycell ceiling crack paint with good results. However I Needed to apply a second coat and the crack reappeared. on close inspection it appeared that the paint had been squeezed out of then crack and formed what looks like a very fine bead on the crack. I sand the area very lightly and applied a third coat, but the outline if the crack reappeared. Any ideas please?

By way of clarification the crack seems to be the joint between plaster boards. The crack was scrimmed prior to being skimmed. There does not appear to be any structural movement. I was thinking of sanding down the general area of the crack and repainting with the polycell product again. I am undecided to either use a brush or a roller. Have used a roller prior to this but surface is getting a bit orange peely. Any advice would be appreciated.

HandyMandy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Hairline Crack Keeps Appearing in Ceiling Even After Repair

Post by HandyMandy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:59 am

Is it worth maybe sanding down polyfillaing drying, sanding then redoing? I may have misunderstood what your are saying though.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:15 am