Hairline cracks in new plaster ceiling
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Justin Thyme

Hairline cracks in new plaster ceiling

Post by Justin Thyme » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:58 pm

Last week I employed a general builder to plaster my ceiling (1930s semi) over old artex with no noticeable cracks. He scraped off old stipple, applied coat of PVA and when dry applied 2nd coat. Whilst still tacky applied paster coat. Looked fine on completion and was allowed to dry over a few days. One central heating rad the only aid to drying. But the ceiling has developed several long, random hairline cracks. Any suggestions why and what remedial action can be taken? Builder is known to me and has worked both locally and for me in the past, including plastering, with no problems. But he cannot explain what has gone wrong this time. Many thanks.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:40 am

Hi,
You'd expect to have moisture drawn from the plaster to the ceiling when skiming over an old surface, It does sound like your man has done the job right, by sealing it up. Best jobs are not always the easiest as normally stripping right back is a sure fire way of a successful out-come but ceilings not that simple, I normally over board or rip the lot out! Did he skim it once or twice may be worth a re-visit!
Regrads
KB

Aidan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Aidan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:44 pm

I never understand why people spend time scraping the old crap off, like above said rip it down or overboard!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:53 pm