half hot rads
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cod
Labourer
Labourer

half hot rads

by cod » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:21 pm

hi my radiators down stairs are red hot at the top but only just warm at the bottom thoughts anyone?? :?

lochs16
Labourer
Labourer

by lochs16 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:04 pm

First Iam not a plumber. but I have done this few times.

From your description I would hazard a guess and suggest that you have build up of sludge that has deposited itself at bottom of your radiators.
This would built up over time.
The remedy for this is to remove all the water from the sytem and remove the offending radiators and take outside and remove top stoppers of rad and flush out throughly with garden hose using water.
Note the colour of water exiting the rad`s, after they run clean refit rad`s and pour in some good sludge remover and fill system., bled rad`s and run heating system for rquired amount of time.[checking to see if rad`s are now OK]
Remove the water from system again.
This time add required amount of radiator inhibitor and fill system,bled and check again that rad`s are hot all over.
Rad`s can be heavy a job for two.

cod
Labourer
Labourer

rads

by cod » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:48 pm

sounds likekly will give it a go cheers.

[quote="lochs16"]First Iam not a plumber. but I have done this few times.

From your description I would hazard a guess and suggest that you have build up of sludge that has deposited itself at bottom of your radiators.
This would built up over time.
The remedy for this is to remove all the water from the sytem and remove the offending radiators and take outside and remove top stoppers of rad and flush out throughly with garden hose using water.
Note the colour of water exiting the rad`s, after they run clean refit rad`s and pour in some good sludge remover and fill system., bled rad`s and run heating system for rquired amount of time.[checking to see if rad`s are now OK]
Remove the water from system again.
This time add required amount of radiator inhibitor and fill system,bled and check again that rad`s are hot all over.
Rad`s can be heavy a job for two.[/quote]

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1