Half of hot water system stopped working.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stiggy67
Labourer
Labourer

Half of hot water system stopped working.

by stiggy67 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:04 pm

Any help appreciated.
I am not normally inclined to do plumbing work myself as I am a spark by trade and I beleive in paying a qualified person to do the work instead of trying to DIY and looking for forums to solve the problems youv'e caused. However I could not get anybody to do this work in time.
Problem hot water from cylinder above En Suite bathroom lukewarm/cold. (Feeds taps, bath and pumped mixer shower).
Hot water from "main" cylinder feeding rest of house water hot!
Both cylinders fed from same boiler.
System indirect gravity fed.
History: All worked fine, drained down to connect up piping (installed by competent plumber) to 4 new Rads.
Fitted Rads and refilled system (much bleeding needed and lots of gurgling).
System switched on "demmanding" hot water and central heating.
Boiler seems to run fine.
Central heating working fine.
Additional info, there are two radiators in the en suite that are connected to the hot water feed off the bolier i.e they are always on with the hot water timer and independent of the rest of the central heating. These are also hot and working fine!
Air lock, faulty stats, valve?
Please help :roll:

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:47 pm

Sounds like an airlock. Especially with just having plumbing work carried out. Get the plumber back to sort the airlock, he should be able to sort it free of charge.

Or check for vent points on the pipework to the cylinder, and check water is there. You could crack open the flow and return nuts on the cylinder, to let any air escape.

stiggy67
Labourer
Labourer

by stiggy67 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:45 am

Big thanx. Took your advice, lots of air came out and water got hot the day after! It was the tank feeds I opened by the way!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1