hall light turns off lounge & loung light turns hall on
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Andyssea
Labourer
Labourer

hall light turns off lounge & loung light turns hall on

by Andyssea » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:55 pm

Hi,

I've added a new light in the lounge to a ceiling rose that was previously blanked off. When the light in the lounge is turned on, it lights, but seems dimmer than it should be. In the hallway the hall light comes on as well, but is dimmer than normal also.

If I turn on the hall light, it lights at full strength, but the loung light goes off.

The lounge has a switch with 3 wires, earth, neutral and live in it. The Earth is earthed to the metal box. Live to live and neutral to neutral.

In the ceiling light itself in the lounge there are two wires. One set of wires (black with a red sheath) is obviously from the switch and has been wired to the brown live of the light itself.

The other blue wire from the light is wired to the black of the other wire coming into the rose (assume off to other parts of the circuit)

The two red wires are connected together. And Earth cables wired together.

Does this sound correct? If so does this point to the light in the hall which turns on being incorrectly wired?

alexh
Labourer
Labourer

more info needed!

by alexh » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:10 pm

Basic problem is that the two circuits are wired together. Dimming is caused by the two lights being in series (i.e. the circuit goes to one then directly to the other).

The fact that the two switches cause different effects suggests a more complex circuit. Need more info about the wiring in the hall switch and light to give a complete answer.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:42 pm

Hi Andyssea
you have somehow connected the new light in series with the supply, without a meter & a bit of knowledge abt the circuit you need direct help,
btw you call the cores at the sw. L N E which shows u r not familiar enough with the wiring to sort this out yourself, there is no Neutral @ your sw. only E, L in, sw. L out, u could try looking at 'projects' "wiring a light" but I don't think it will help u much, B.W.
SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:41 am