HALL LIGHTS
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PAULHAINES
Labourer
Labourer

HALL LIGHTS

by PAULHAINES » Mon May 19, 2008 1:43 pm

I have recently changed my light switch in the downstairs hall. This had 6 wires. 2xblue, 2xyellow and 2xred. The light switch has two switches and controls the downstairs light and upstairs light alone. The downstairs one works fine, but the upstairs light which also has an upstairs switch now only works from downstairs. The switch for it upstairs now does not work at all, and we have found that when the light is turned on from downstairs that a wall light whcih had been totally seperate on its own pully cord can also turn the light on and off although it does not work now at all. Can any one please help!!! I'am not sure if there was a red cable between the two connections on the old switch which I descarded. Could this have an effect? Many thanks, Cheers.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: HALL LIGHTS

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:38 pm

[quote="PAULHAINES"]I have recently changed my light switch in the downstairs hall. This had 6 wires. 2xblue, 2xyellow and 2xred. The light switch has two switches and controls the downstairs light and upstairs light alone. The downstairs one works fine, but the upstairs light which also has an upstairs switch now only works from downstairs. The switch for it upstairs now does not work at all, and we have found that when the light is turned on from downstairs that a wall light whcih had been totally seperate on its own pully cord can also turn the light on and off although it does not work now at all. Can any one please help!!! I'am not sure if there was a red cable between the two connections on the old switch which I descarded. Could this have an effect? Many thanks, Cheers.[/quote]

PAULHAINES

YOUR description of 6 wires 2r,2y,2b , sound like an intermeadiate switching arrangement to me and if it is can be tricky to
rectify if not done before.
get in a electrician to help u.

BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:22 pm