halogen downlights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ian00uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

halogen downlights

by ian00uk » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi

i want to put 8 downlights in my lounge. the downlights wont be low voltage through a transformer.

could someone tell me how best to wire these up and where the switch wire etc goes

cheers

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:19 am

So much is dependent on local conditions no one who is not on site can give you an answer. Some junctions will be required and position and type of junction box is first step. It is unlikely the fittings will lend themselves to daisy chain but that would be best option if they do. The old Bakelite plastic round junction boxes will not normally fit through holes made for lights and I would assume you don't want to lift floor boards. So I would look at the new maintenance free JB not sure if they will fit through holes? I hate down lights but more of a chance. Same with any of the other more modern JB designs. On a new house common to fit bigger switch back boxes and use them as junction boxes.

Be careful with low voltage labels. Low voltage 50vac - 1000vac and Extra Low voltage below 50vac but I have found many incorrectly labelled lamps which say low voltage on box but are extra low voltage.

The low voltage GU10 and GZ10 are not so bad as dichroic reflectors can only be used with GZ10 but with the extra low voltage versions there is no protection and so easy the ceiling space can become too hot.

So with recessed lights I would want something which would only take cool lamps like LED and Florescent (discharge) lighting. I like the 2D range but not the silly 50mm round things. They are OK above the bed on a pod as reading lamp but not much good sunk into ceiling.

My kitchen has 2 double 5' tubes not pretty, but with tungsten 50mm spot lights it would need at least 20 at 50w each to give same light. Which is nearly all the supply I have for house lighting.

In a brightly lit showroom they look great, but once you install without the low bay lighting above the show room, they look very different.

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:39 pm

I find the Ashley maintainance fee JB lovely to use, although not terribly cheap it's worth it for the time and hassel it saves.

ian00uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ian00uk » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:24 pm

how do you wire up the first junction box to the 1st light as your have the switch wire going in and another wire

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:01 am