hanging doors
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tommytroj
Labourer
Labourer

hanging doors

Post by tommytroj » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:25 pm

Guys, here's a tester for you...

I was asked to set up an on-site workshop to make door frames, and then rout hinge recesses in them as well as routing the doors too. Now, I don't have a plan view drawing, so i can't tell which side a door is to be hung, in a particular opening.

The sub-agent gave me a list which simply stated, "1 r/h kit", etc, meaning, make up 1# door frame and door to right-hand hung.

My question is...[b]what's the convention for hanging doors[/b]???

Example...is a door right-hand hung for inside the room (so you see the knuckle), or is it from outside the room (so you can only see the hinge when the door is open)???

Any takers?? :?

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:03 pm

Its only possible to hang a door so it opens towards you. It sits up against the doorstops and is hung from that side. Therefore the hinges go on the left or right of the door looking at it from the side you hang it from and this being the case you always see the hinge knuckle on the hanging side.

tommytroj
Labourer
Labourer

Post by tommytroj » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:48 am

thanks big guy, that's exactly my take on it, and exactly what i've done (47 of them so far!!!). I phoned a few joiner friends and they look at it as though fitting a window, i.e. from inside the room.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:56 am